NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Ain't that the way with everything, though?! [​IMG]

TOB

2. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I especially love when I get heart palpitations after hitting the electric fencer that is AC powered.....no wonder it is called a fear barrier...I agree[​IMG]

3. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    LOL, ours is AC powered as well, so I feel your pain, sister! Funny though, I was getting stupidly brave (and careless) ducking under the wire this past week. The snow is still high enough that I don't have a lot of clearance room, but with my big puffy barn coat, I was not getting zapped. I was in a cotton hoodie yesterday, and got nailed "but good"! I'll probably get it again relatively soon, which doesn't say a whole lot for my learning capacity. [​IMG]

TOB

4. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    vmd, one more funny side note. Years ago, a sweet but nutty neighbor of ours didn't believe the new invisible fence-type system really packed much punch to dogs. So he put the collar around his own neck and jogged across the property line. BAM! He had, sadly, grossly underestimated the potency of the product. We still laugh at that story.

TOB

5. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
  6. vmdanielsen

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Oh too funny!!! I have been zapped to many times by a standard fencer, I would have never put a collar around my NECK!!!!

7. vmdanielsen

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
  8. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    I was surveying my property today, looking for a dry spot to put another coop. I'm not sure I can talk Ray into it tho. We don't eat the eggs we have and the customers don't seem to be coming back....maybe when the weather warms up some?

I have no problem giving chicks away for free or a buck each. But I wouldn't want to give them all away and my coops are already past capasity ....so no incubator for me. (BUT I have 4 classrooms attempting to hatch a dozen each. LOL)

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    All this talk of guns and electric fences is getting me down.

I can't afford electric fencing and honestly am considering giving up some chickens. Other wise they have to stay in runs and that just bums me out.

I hope I don't see that hawk or what ever it is again tomorrow. It's no way to live. In fear.

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    For anyone considering electric fencing that's on a budget - I didn't buy the really expensive chargers from premiere - I got the Parmak mark 8 for about $100 (it's a few dollars more at the moment):
    http://www.amazon.com/Parmak-Impedance-120-Volt-30-Mile-Electric/dp/B0002YUWFC

It's putting out 14.4 and has a nice digital display of voltage. So far so good. Each one is powering two hot wires around a coop plus 200 feet of poultry netting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by