NY chicken lover!!!!

get a 22 magnum . Also called a 22 WWR. While not as quiet as a .22 it isn't terribly loud and packs plenty of punch for a coyote. They even make 45 grain rounds just for predators such as coyotes for the 22 wwr. And youdon't have to stick to the head shot and can take a much easier "boiler room" shot
Geeze, we have so many guns in the house I can't believe he doesn't have one. I'll ask. I probably handed him the one he didn't want! Next time...

Only if you don't want them. If you want them because they make delicious table guests, it seems to be the other way around.
lol.png

Ain't that the way with everything, though?!
lau.gif

TOB

I personally and semi-regularly check the potency of the horses' electric fence. This is not voluntary, mind you, but usually involves moments of rushed distraction, general laziness or my thinking I can limbo low like I did in my younger day. Just got a most unpleasant zap along the back yesterday. The worst was when I accidentally hit the wire with a metal slide bar that locks the gate. YOWZERS, that was nasty.
ep.gif

TOB

I especially love when I get heart palpitations after hitting the electric fencer that is AC powered.....no wonder it is called a fear barrier...I agree
ep.gif

I especially love when I get heart palpitations after hitting the electric fencer that is AC powered.....no wonder it is called a fear barrier...I agree
ep.gif

LOL, ours is AC powered as well, so I feel your pain, sister! Funny though, I was getting stupidly brave (and careless) ducking under the wire this past week. The snow is still high enough that I don't have a lot of clearance room, but with my big puffy barn coat, I was not getting zapped. I was in a cotton hoodie yesterday, and got nailed "but good"! I'll probably get it again relatively soon, which doesn't say a whole lot for my learning capacity.
roll.png

TOB

LOL, ours is AC powered as well, so I feel your pain, sister! Funny though, I was getting stupidly brave (and careless) ducking under the wire this past week. The snow is still high enough that I don't have a lot of clearance room, but with my big puffy barn coat, I was not getting zapped. I was in a cotton hoodie yesterday, and got nailed "but good"! I'll probably get it again relatively soon, which doesn't say a whole lot for my learning capacity.
roll.png

TOB

vmd, one more funny side note. Years ago, a sweet but nutty neighbor of ours didn't believe the new invisible fence-type system really packed much punch to dogs. So he put the collar around his own neck and jogged across the property line. BAM! He had, sadly, grossly underestimated the potency of the product. We still laugh at that story.

TOB

vmd, one more funny side note. Years ago, a sweet but nutty neighbor of ours didn't believe the new invisible fence-type system really packed much punch to dogs. So he put the collar around his own neck and jogged across the property line. BAM! He had, sadly, grossly underestimated the potency of the product. We still laugh at that story.

TOB

Oh too funny!!! I have been zapped to many times by a standard fencer, I would have never put a collar around my NECK!!!!

I was surveying my property today, looking for a dry spot to put another coop. I'm not sure I can talk Ray into it tho. We don't eat the eggs we have and the customers don't seem to be coming back....maybe when the weather warms up some?

I have no problem giving chicks away for free or a buck each. But I wouldn't want to give them all away and my coops are already past capasity ....so no incubator for me. (BUT I have 4 classrooms attempting to hatch a dozen each. LOL)

All this talk of guns and electric fences is getting me down.

I can't afford electric fencing and honestly am considering giving up some chickens. Other wise they have to stay in runs and that just bums me out.

I hope I don't see that hawk or what ever it is again tomorrow. It's no way to live. In fear.

Back
Top Bottom