NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I love my poultry netting also! Even though it's only 4 feet high, the only time I've had any of the 40+ chickens fly out of it is when a hawk spooked them out. It's pricey, but after trying everything else out it worked the best. I also have a hot wire attached to the top and bottom of the coop and runs.

2. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Try googling how an electric fence works or try http://www.sureguard.com.au/library/Library-Design-Setup/electric_fence_design I do understand how it works, but don't know if I could convey it properly to you. I have an electric horse fence that my poultry netting(which I love) is connected to. There are 2 kinds of electric fence, Solar or AC(from an outlet). I find AC more powerful and consistent(I have both). It is important to have excellent grounding. During the summer, I only use the fence and move the end poles to get through*as a gate), but in the winter I have a gate installed as the ground freezes and I want to be able to pass though.

I have had many electric fence chargers and I really do like premier1 chargers and poultry netting. As far as how much to get, I would get as much as I can afford....both premier1 chargers and fencing are costly.

I also have a permanent fence (non electric with a top and bottom guard wires)...this may be more of what you are looking for. This is where one would run an electric wire about 6 inches above the ground around the non electric fence and another (hot wire)around the top of the fence...... Hope this helps....

3. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    Will be looking into netting, too. Thanks!
    This is what I'm thinking, if I can afford it.
    Yes, it does help! Thank you!

4. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Only if you don't want them. If you want them because they make delicious table guests, it seems to be the other way around. [​IMG]

5. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Ducks rock. They're easygoing, fun to watch, accepting of other ducks, and full of personality. I love mine, and want more.

6. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Rancher & Stony, my husband has recently gotten into trapping and hunting them. He has gotten a lot of fox the past few years, which I'm grateful for, but he's still trying to figure out the right setup for coyote. He did shoot one in our neighbors garage a few weeks ago - also covered in mange. One of the fox he trapped this year was covered in it too - died in the trap within a few hours it was so bad.
    To be fair, when I saw the coyote in the yard the other morning I woke him out of a sound sleep yelling and handing him his gun...(I'm sure that brought him back to his days in the marines...lol) and he was aiming offhand while it was moving. The problem is we do have a neighbor who doesn't like guns being fired, so we try to stick to a .22 to keep the noise down, but then we have to make a head shot.
    I did get my small game license this year, I really should be practicing too.

We're east of Rochester in Wayne county.

Chickprincess - Yes! Will you be the God-momma!? I think she set the eggs Wednesday, I'll share pictures when I get them!
    There is a podcast I listen to - they are always advertising for an electric fence company they use...
    http://www.kencove.com/fence/

By the way if anyone is looking for a good podcast, a farm local to me does a good one, Chicken Thistle Farm Coopcast. It's at least good for a few laughs if you already know most of the farming info.

7. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    [​IMG] I like delicious table guests! [​IMG] They always come with their best sides. [​IMG] Sometimes they come all dressed up. [​IMG] Sorry, couldnt resist hen. You started it...[​IMG]

8. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    get a 22 magnum . Also called a 22 WWR. While not as quiet as a .22 it isn't terribly loud and packs plenty of punch for a coyote. They even make 45 grain rounds just for predators such as coyotes for the 22 wwr. And youdon't have to stick to the head shot and can take a much easier "boiler room" shot

9. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    I personally and semi-regularly check the potency of the horses' electric fence. This is not voluntary, mind you, but usually involves moments of rushed distraction, general laziness or my thinking I can limbo low like I did in my younger day. Just got a most unpleasant zap along the back yesterday. The worst was when I accidentally hit the wire with a metal slide bar that locks the gate. YOWZERS, that was nasty. [​IMG]

TOB

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  10. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Geeze, we have so many guns in the house I can't believe he doesn't have one. I'll ask. I probably handed him the one he didn't want! Next time...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by