NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Aw Rancher I'm sorry, Hope this cheers you up [​IMG] :
    Turkey Dubstep

2. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    The AC fencer in my barn and is a parmac. It will knock me on my butt...It is the only one that my mare respects. I prefer the premier1 solar fencers, however I have had parmac solar fencers as well. If I could not get a premier1, I would purchase the parmac solar as well.....

3. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    I'm working pretty well at filling my own barn and not just with chickens! [​IMG]

4. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Rancher---dont get down. I had a hawk hanging around last fall looking for an easy meal. I kept my cheeps locked up for a couple of weeks in their coop/run and freeranged them only when i was out there. it finally gave up and went away. It does pass by every once in a while to see if it can get lucky but i am always there to discourage it. I know there is a pair of falcons who live in the area as well and they have been more brazen in their flyovers, skimming the tops of the trees, but again, I am the deterent. I wonder if you made a scarecrow of yourself and put it out there if it would help deter them?

Havent heard the coyotes lately but dh told me this am that a rabid fox was shot by a cop in the small town below us. Hopefully it is an isolated incident.

We got a little snow last night so of course there was all kinds of whining and complaining coming from the coops this morning. Bunch of babies. Told them to put on their big chicken panties and get over it otherwise they werent getting all the goodies I saved from the chicken I roasted last night. Had to buy a chicken to roast as I am out of my own. Guess thats another reason to fire up my new bators!!! Anyways, I have all the drippings and gizzards and skin to mix up with some other stuff and put out there later. I just hope I can get out of the run in one piece!

Off to the pharm for another funfilled day.

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Made two batches of the 12 egg version of the pound cake. Turned out yummy!!! Used 3cups eggs since I am using pullet eggs and it's a lot more than 12. :p So three cups eggs, 3.5 c sugar, 4 c flour, one pound butter and a dash of salt, baking powder and vanilla.

6. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    Not quite sure handing a gun to a very sleepy man while hollering was such a great idea! [​IMG]
    Anyone know what the comparison is to a Zareba 25 mile? I guess I've narrowed it down to these two. Which is the better choice?

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I can't speak on technical specs, but when I was shopping the Parmak had better reviews and the digital display so I picked that one. Only complaints I saw was that it was noisier than the Zareba. Supposedly Parmak has better customer service, but can't speak to that. They are probably both fine. :)

8. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Rancher, forgive me if I am being too forward, but what is your budget for e-fencing? We did ours for under $150 and while that's no amount to scoff at (I make less than min. wage so I understand tight finances), it has proven very effective against everything from little critters to a bear. I'd hate to see you get out of chickens because of predators, I can see you clearly enjoy keeping them and care for your birds. Do you sell your eggs locally at all? That sounds like a random question but I am brainstorming.

9. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
  10. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Pharm,

This is exactly what experts advise you to do with your bird feeders (taking them in) when you've got a raptor that's set up your yard as a buffet bar. It's frustrating and takes some time and patience, but it does help. Obviously, it's not a permanent solution, but it should help as you've noticed.

Just make their lives as unpleasant as possible when they are checking things out and you happen to be outside. (Hint: you can't be shy about the neighbors questioning your sanity: give it your all, whooping yells and windmilling arms.) [​IMG]

TOB

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by