NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't try clicking on the links your recommended Yet, but I will. Thanks,
    DW has already said No dogs.

2. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    We have a new commercial one at school and good garden o' peas it heats my dinners up so hot they boil over. I have to reduce the minutes. There is such a thing as too hot.

Now we did get a new one a short time ago. I told DW to get one that has the rounded back to it for easy cleaning. No nooks and crannies. I do the cleaning of the micro more than anyone else. I always look for how easy something is to clean when buying things. Unless of course one is a big slob and doesn't care. [​IMG]

I have to say some of these new refridgerators have gotten out of hand in size. Some of them are crawl in to clean models. Bigger than some of the apartments I've lived in. IMO, they should be less deep. I hate when I can't see all the way to the back. Put mirror on the back wall and you'd think someone was in there on the other side. Like the Twilight Zone or something. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  3. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY

Why hasn't anyone invented a huge RAT TRAP design for larger predators. Can you see that bird coming in and landing on that dead chicken and BAM! I would so buy one if they made it.

There is a video of where this woman made a fake Quail to study the mating dances. I have no doubt you can find it on PBS. org or Youtube. It was hsysterical. She sent the thing out on a track and it fell over. [​IMG]

4. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    just in the thinking stages here. But.... we are talking about adding turkeys to our flock. a homestead bird, broody etc. Narragasett's were strongly suggested on the heritage poultry thread.

We are looking for a turkey that if we keep a breeding trio, the next spring they will sit and hatch and raise their own. And Narragasetts fit that bill. Anyone have any? Do you like them? etc.

Just thought I'd throw it out there even though we aren't ready. As when I was thinking of adding broody born runners to our flock this thread pulled through!

Still need to build housing.... so still in the planning stages.

5. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Stony, I have fifteen heritage crossbreed poults coming this spring from Porter's. You're welcome to a few if you want them! I'm opting for the heritage-type birds because I want them to breed naturally. Given that they're from experimental breeding groups (Porter's likes to create new colors), they should be decent parents.

http://www.porterturkeys.com/assortedpoults.htm

6. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    thanks! I'll talk that over with my wife. So you are looking for exactly what we are in a turkey. Low maint, bird

7. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Yep! I'm not big on the idea of the broad-breasted birds - great feed conversion, but they come with an expiration date. I'd rather have the slower-growing birds that will be self-sustaining.

8. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    Sold. I have it in Amazon wish list. Peeps have to raise me some money first!

9. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    A rabid fox was shot a few miles from us as well.....not looking good

10. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    when I saw how many predators were out last spring and that the coons bred twice last year I knew this was coming...rabies. I knew it. Killed 16 coons myself last year after my chickens. 1 fox. Many other preds as well. I should call my trappingbuddy and see how he is doing on my land. But anyway... I saw a rabies outbreak as inevitable. Hopefully here with the population under contro a bit more it won't be a problem.

Happens..... people don't trap or hunt as much, and nature has an evil evil way of dealing with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by