NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009

2. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    It's not hooked up to anything. It's a completely random pipe and it's nowwhere near the house. It's possible that the previous owner "disconnected" whatever he had going on when he bought the place. From what I understand, he used to remodel and paint cars in the small barn. There is no running water or drainage of any kind, my question is, how did he clean all of the equipment without running water or a drain? I suppose chemical solvents could have been used, but again, how was that disposed of? I hope not down the little stream.

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Yes it is illegal, however, in the droughts we have sometimes in the summer, I have been known to detach the washer from the septic system and water my flowers with grey water. I would rather do this than not water my outside flowers, or worse have my pump go dry by using fresh well water....however, running a grey water system so it dumps in or near and creek, never!!!!!

4. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Does the house have a sump pump? Might have been where the sump pump water was pumped to. Usually people put it as far from the house as possible when it exits the hosing.

5. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Okay my fellow peeps, a word to the wise about the 12 egg pound cake. First, make sure you have a gigantic mixing bowl otherwise you will be looking for one after you get the eggs and butter and sugar mixed. Second, it doesnt fit in a regular loaf pan but will in a big stoneware bundt pan. Oh, and this thing is big!!! I will have to share it with everyone because dh and I could never eat it all! The lemon sauce on it is devine, Ginny. I was thinking that maybe blueberry sauce with vanilla icecream would be nice too.

Froze my you know what off this morning letting out the cheeps and filling waterers and feeders. The wind is really whipping here so the windchill is low despite the sun. I keep expecting to see my chickens blowing by screaming help meeee! as they are blown into the next county. And they are in their runs.

I ate the ginormous egg today. It was a double yolker. Beautiful though. Ate it straight up, no enhancement needed. Polished up 2 dozen for delivery tomorrow. Going to heat up the fat drippings from the roaster I made and add some goodies to it and have dh deliver to all the cheeps. He likes to be popular one. I am the mean chicken momma. Yet I am the one who cooks for them. Go figure.

6. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Here is snack time at the ranch approx 4:00 pm
    [​IMG]
    Oh whats this ? A Open Door ? Lets Come in ..
    [​IMG]
    Hmm
    ..This is somehow familiar ..Like we have been here before ?
    It looks Smaller ! ( This is the room we had them in for their 1st month with us .)
    [​IMG]
    Me " No Pooping in the house ! "
    [​IMG]

Ohhh Well Okay we will just Leave then !

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  7. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I saw the amounts going into the bowl and put them in my biggest mixing bowl. Pound cake is a good keeper and freezes beautifully. Wrap in individual pieces of plastic wrap and save for later....so good to come home from a busy day and have tea and cake!!!! Or put dried blueberries in the cake(or fresh) then top with lemon syrup. Yum again....you could easily half the recipe and use 2 small loaf pans....I used a large angel food cake pan.

8. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Have you tried wind socks ? or something similar ? Maybe a long strip of colored cloth ? Something that blows in the wind ..to put them off guard . I have my old blankets on the closeline . The Close line is near the coop...They are whipping in the wind right now ..Chickens dont pay any attention to them . im sure they spook predators by their almost constant movement.
    I like the scarecrow idea too !

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    They very well may be for sap. I'd suggest you talk to the neighbors. See what they have to say.

There was a recent Yahoo story where some one called the cops thinking there was a meth lab. Turned out they were just tapping the trees for maple sap. Lord are people ignorant today or what?

The agency came storming into their drive.

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Gramma - I have thought of the clothes line thing. In fact there is one out there. A round one but I can't find the instructions to put the line on it. I tried but gave up and now it just sits there. I may try again.

I am planning a scare crow or two. If I use my clothes it will keep anything away. Nothing worse than the smell of old. 'Sides it will give me an excuse to buy new clothes. [​IMG]

I have got to look up that 12 egg pound cake and see if I can't print it out.

I'm off for the week too but Lord have mercy it will be too cold to be out there. If I had a barn I'd put warm clothes on and to sit and read a magazine or two.

The incubator is loaded. More than 50. We'll have to see how many make the cut on Sat. I candle over a succession of days. To many to candle all at once. Temp 100.9* humidity 35% Room temp is 80* . [​IMG]

Now I have to tell you. I prayed my SIL would get a on the books job and he starts tonight.. I will be praying he makes his probation period too. DD applied for a job at D. Donuts but hasn't heard. It may mean my babysitting the Queen but I'm up for it. She's nearly 3 and I'm sure will be potty trained soon.

We like to watch Dinosaur Train together. She because she learns about dinosaurs and me because it takes me back to my younger days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by