NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    They are very good looking chickens!
  2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Country Boy- those are some great looking Cochins! I had a couple then sold them. Should have kept them, awfully cool looking big birds. Darn...
  3. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    I have an odd thing happening in my coop and I'm not sure if it's something to worry about, or typical flock behavior. Our alpha roo, Oscar, has for 2 days now, been chasing my BO hen. She runs from him, petrified and gets up on the roost. Once she's up high, he leaves her alone, but she fluffs all her feathers, flares up her butt feathers, and growls.
    I don't know if he's trying to mate with her and she won't let him? I've never seen this kind of behavior. He doesn't do this with any other girls... just Blondie.
    Anyone have any ideas why? Or what to do? There hasn't been any blood involved, thankfully.
  4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Dunno whether the eggs she hatched from were from young hens or not - they weren't mine. =( She was from the NYD hatch last year and I don't remember where they came from. She was a funky chicken and laid a nice blue green egg. Another option could be just coming back into lay after molt and an egg type problem, but I doubt that - she was in the dustbathing area and not in a nest box. No evidence of any predation that I can find and just like with Cass's chicken all mine were up on the roost too. Had another chicken die some months back but she almost for sure flew into a wall when spooked. Other than that this is my first 'sudden chicken death' with no apparent cause.
  5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    They are and I have some of those eggs in the bator now! Woot!! =) Thanks county boy!!
  6. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    They are beautiful! What kind is that in the second pic? I want one!
  7. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT

I missed this earlier while I was posting (sorry about that). My sister actually just bought a house in Machester. My husband and I grew up in Southington and our parent still live there. It took us exactly 2 hours to get there from Albany when we lived in Latham.

I just have this feeling that because we have to rent due to my husbands job always changing and he has these goals of continuing to move up that we will NEVER get lucky like we did with this house and being in the country as well as being for "rent".

My husband is on his way home from Albany right now. So we're going to talk more when he gets home.
  8. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    Imay be off little on the times or am including my need to stop for coffee on any road trip no matter how short [​IMG]. Mapquest has Southington at 2 hours 6 minutes from my house. Renting a country house can be tough but isn't impossible
  9. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    When I have a broody I'll want to buy hatching eggs from you if you have any. Your birds are gorgeous!
  10. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Lucky chick! I really have no more room for another breed. 5 pens and way too many as it is. Eye candy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by