NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    Thanks! I REALLY don't want to move back to CT. But I suppose if I found an area that was nice enough it may change my mind. Funny you mention tax, it is a bit cheaper of a tax in CT and moving to NY where the tax here is higher I never really noticed it, but one thing I DO NOT miss are those awful annual car taxes!! We used to lease all the time when we lived there and the newer the vehicle the higher the car tax bill was every year. I definitely do not miss having to pay $400+ car tax bill per vehicle every year. Although I am paying an oil bill here which I've never paid for in my life so I guess the $600 per bill for that is making up for more than those car taxes! LOL

2. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I grew up in Berkshire county. Both chicken farms I referred to were in West Lebanon. One stood where the self storage place is on Adams crossing Road (they built the self storage on the chicken house's foundation), the other just up the road. Some of the foundation is still there.

3. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    that makes 2 more former chicken farms within 10 miles of me I didn't know about. All of the ones I refer'd to were in the Town Of Canaan.

4. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    My FIL remembers them. When the one up the road from us flooded in the late '40's, he went in to try and save them, to no avail. I believe they(the chickens) all drowned. The people never rebuilt.

5. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    I haven't had much sit down time to crochet in quite a while. And then I have 2 little helpers that would love to "help" with the yarn.

6. Kit-Kat

Kit-Kat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Troy, NY
    I've been daydreaming about moving to Canaan - it seems like a great area and it's about half way between my family (Western MA) and DH's work and family (Albany). Ah well, someday!

7. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    it is quite beautiful here.All of the lifetime locals are great people and we all help each other out

8. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    I came home to a hawk or falcon eating one of my chickens.....what the chicken was doing OUT I don't know, cuz everyone was inside the coop, except the dead one. It was one of my Lav Ameruacanas too. Grrrr.... I hate birds of prey near my house. Now everyone is out and the bird of prey is no where to be seen....must not like the roosters parading around looking for a fight.

On a more happy note I listened to Rancher (I know he thinks no one is listening to him) and started giving my chickens Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) in their water at least once a week. (more if I remember to add it) It has firmed up their poo and it isn't as stinky. However it IS expensive to get ACV with "mother" in it (which is what it needs to have to do what I need it to do) SOoooo (again listening to Rancher) I bought two 32 ounce bottles of regular ACV for $1.79 each and one bottle of Braggs ACV with Mother for $6.19. (ouch) Then I poured out some out of each of the cheap bottles into a ACV bottle I had saved and added some of the Braggs ACV to each of the 3 bottles of regular (read MUCH CHEAPER) ACV. Now I am going to let it sit for about a month and see if it develops into the same cloudiness of the store bought Braggs Mother ACV (read VERY expensive). I did this on a very limited scale with a small bottle of ACV I had in the cupboard, when I first got my first bottle of Braggs. It seemed to have worked. The small bottle got very cloudy. I used it in the chicken's water instead of using it to start more ACV with mother in it. I do plan to "reseed" other bottles with one I just started today, when it is "ripe". If this works it will save me about $5 a month and/or allow me to put ACV in their water more often at no more additional cost.

I'll try and remember to let you know how it goes. But that's a month from now, so don't count on it. [​IMG]

9. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
  10. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I so dislike birds of prey. Sorry Cass.

About the AVC, I've been doing just what you described for a long time now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by