NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    I will have to try the acv recipe. If it saves money and works well, then I am all for it!

County--nice pics of the boys!

Rancher--I am a novice at crocheting and wouldnt want to embarrass myself by swapping my work for others really nice work! My grandma and her sister made such beautiful blankets and such. I think they would be happy knowing that I am finally taking up the craft myself.

Came home from work to a super muddy yard and runs. Almost had my rubber boots sucked off by the mud. Gave the cheeps some cabbage to keep them busy. My new brinsea is holding its temp and humidity nicely and its loaded up with 16 silkie eggs. Hoping for the best. Loading up my genesis when I get my heritage rir eggs plus whatever silkie eggs i get from now till then. Might throw in a few of my terrorist eggs as well. Dont want to waste any space!!!

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Had a dead chicken incident myself today. Body was still warm when I got out to the pens after work. NO clue what happened - no open wounds, no mites, diarrhea, eyes and mouth looked clear. MAYBE the abdomen was a bit swollen but she's a little young to be an internal layer (but it could happen). Looks like she died when dustbathing so at least she went out happy. =( Crop was even full (but not packed up). No clue what happened.. She was about 13 months old.

[​IMG]

3. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Heart attack? One of my Sumantra roos died overnight a few months back. I thought the silkie momma got after him, but like yours, there wasn't a mark on him, just laying there dead on the coop floor. It was kinda funny, actually, everyone was up in their favorite roosting spot and it was only 3 in the afternoon when I got home....almost like they knew he was dead and didn't want to go near the body. (I don't go down to the coop in the morning....I am just not a morning person)

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Really once or twice a month should be enough. Though you've got me thinking if it's possible to make your own. Try the health food stores they some time have a buy one get on half price.

Sorry about the hawk. It can be frustrating.

5. County Boy

County Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2012
    Petersburg Ny
    Here are my big guys!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thanksfor everybody's kind words on the other 2 pics.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  6. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I encourage everyone to join. Even if all you can make is the basic granny in the colors chosen by the Hostess/Host, it's fine. We want you to practice. Out of my Grandmothers 44 or so grandchildren I'm the only one who does it. We've got some newbies and it's fine. We want you to learn and practice.

7. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    this is why they (whoever they are) advise to not hatch eggs from young hens. So as not to pass on genetic problems. Still it breaks the heart when it happens.

8. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    it's really really wet here. They get all kinds of unkind things in their gut, so once a week works well for my flock. I do have one bird that just doesn't seem to have firm poop....it's pretty yucky, so I keep hoping she'll finally drink enough to stop making the coop stink and slip.

I poured some mother in a small ACV bottle I had on the shelf and it seemed to get more and more cloudy....that's why I bought the two new bottles to doctor. I am probably putting 2 ounces of the Braggs into the cheap bottles. ( shook the Braggs first to mix the stuff up to make sure I got the good stuff into the new bottles) But at 2 ounces you can make 16 bottles of cheap stuff into the good stuff. Seems like a good deal to me.

9. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    Cass and Featherz, sorry for your chicken losses. [​IMG]
    I had a hen pass away last week. No apparent reason. Fine one evening, dead the next morning. One of my production girls. The only thing I can think of, is when Henry (my roo) died, and when this hen died, I had given them a chicken carcass, bones and all. I did some searching of bones possibly getting stuck, but got lots of varying answers. Needless to say, I won't be giving them whole carcasses anymore.

10. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    What is a "safe" age to use those eggs for hatching?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by