NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Lately it seems that people are trying to move closer to work, so renting a country house is easier than you might think. I know there are 3 for rent close to me (which doesn't help you AT ALL) but it does speak to your fear of not finding another place where you can have your animals.

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

We actually rent 2 and soon 3 houses on our property. Yup, slightly rural but very convenient location. You will find something, I wouldn't worry too much.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I have read to wait til they are 2 to 3 years old. Of course there are always exceptions I suppose. My concern is to be sure they are hardy. I too have had young hens just up and die as is being described.

I only make the statement out of person preference and based on what I've read.

As for the ACV, that too is based on what I've read in Practical Poultry. The point being to not put them off the water. Loose stool can be from what they've eaten much like if humans ate too many prunes.

I notice my hens might lay eggs with funny shapes after I feed them too much bread. Mine will pass up pellets for scratch and pass up scratch for left over pasta. They are funny that way. They just love bread. Free ranged birds don't always get the balanced diet of commercial feed. But if you're like me, I like them out to range if it means having to buy less pellets. [​IMG]

As always I say what works for you. Lord knows there are many opinions on these things. If you're happy and your chickens are happy, who's to claim other wise?

4. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    LOL, idk what to tell ya. It never took us more than 2 hrs from Albany. But I drive straight thru-absolutely NO stopping! My kids have learned if we want to go visit Grandma, there is no stopping.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  5. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Those boots they're wearing must keep their feet warm. Nice looking guys. What ever your doing you must be doing it right.

6. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well he is a guy and she is a blond, what can you expect. Blonds have more fun. [​IMG]

7. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

please do keep us posted on this, i for one am very interested.

8. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Sorry to hear that ..Ouch ! maybe she got left out somehow ? or there is a hole somewhere ?
    Boy I would be mad ...I would pick up the nearest thing & swing .

Sorry about everyones hens dieing I guess it will happen to all of us eventually .

I Went to Farm & Tractor auburn to look at chicks ..Was So tempted... they had Too many ..So some where Buy one get one free ..
    One of the bins that MAY have had some of the tetra tint (one of the ones listed in the pellet description )
    Husband said Too Early ...for chicks ...We came home chickless ..*^*

Ours have been drinking ACV since they were a couple months old .they will be a year in April .
    The ACV is supposed to help them be less apt to have parasites & worms ..

ChickPrincess - is she at the bottom of the pecking order ? or are the hens picking on her ?
    My white hen after she was attacked by the hens so she started bleeding ..Wouldnt let the roo near hear for a while ..
    Im sure it hurt ...coz he would bite her where the hens attacked on her head .
    he would chase her & attack her ...if he could catch her ...it stopped mostly after she submitted to him ...He still pecks her sometimes .

Saw something strange today ...The roo was on my white hen Goldie ...for the usual ..
    One of the older hens went over to them & started attacking her ..first time I have seen this .

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  9. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Yup. I don't count my birds when I put them away, cuz I have some that jump coops depending on their mood. They all free range together from both sides of the coop. They put themselves to bed. Apparently on of them didn't bother to go to bed in the coop, but slept somewhere else and was out by herself in the morning. Hawks just can't resist a lone chicken. Fortunately it wasn't laying yet so I won't miss the egg.

10. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by