NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Holy winds! Listened to the winds roar through all night and this morning. We are under a winter storm watch but I am hoping it comes to nothing. We really need this snow to go and things to dry out. I am itching to muck out the runs. They are in a half frozen, half thawed muddy state so the cheeps are getting mud on their eggs. I also dont like them running around in it for very long. Guess I am too much of a clean freak when it comes to my chickens. I like to keep everything cleaned up and dry so they stay healthy.

Sorry for the loss of your hens. My hen trouble died just after christmas. I think she got a bone stuck in her crop. I give my cheeps the carcasses of whatever meat we have. First time that ever happened. I will still give them carcassas. They love them and its good for them. If they were in the wild they would eat them anyways.

County---very nice pics of your big guys. Love the coloring. Your efforts at breeding certainly show.

Rancher---let me finish this project then i will consider joining your granny square group.

2. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Missed part of messages. Cook in size PAN? Or are they cup cakes? Thanks Aria

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Cass, sorry to hear of your dead hen. I hate birds of prey near my house as well. Hopefully it won't be back for more.

I have heard that one can make active ACV from unsweetened apple juice as well. Add active vinegar to apple juice and wait. Might be even cheaper.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    check

5. McBride55

McBride55 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Waterloo, NY
    I got bad news the otherh day. My company downsized a bunch of people and I was one. So I will have to put off getting my flock started until next year. I won't have the $ to do it right now.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    You don't say where your located but if things change, I have no doubt I can supply you with chicks. That is if things change during the spring or summer. I have broodies and they hatch whether I like it or not. I usually let the broodies raise the chicks so they might not be chicks but older.

If they are brown egg layers I give them dark or green eggs. If they are dark or green layers I give them brown eggs. Makes it easy to pull the newly laid eggs. [​IMG]

I'm sure we'll all be crossing our fingers that you find a new job asap. Remember you're not at the end of the road, just changing directions.

I wish you well,

Rancher

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  7. Cydney83

Cydney83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Central New York!
    So sorry to hear McBride55!
    I don't like birds of prey eitber cass.
    really Thinkng this mud can dry up. wry soon..

8. McBride55

McBride55 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Waterloo, NY
    I had posted last week but it might have got lost in the other posts. I am in Waterloo between the northern ends of Cayuga and Seneca lakes. I will keep everyone posted on how things go. Depressing part is TSC called today to tell me the chicks I was looking for were in. I had to tell them I couldn't get them. :(

9. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

i too wish you well on your quest for new employment, so sorry to hear of your misfortune with your job.

10. County Boy

County Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2012
    Petersburg Ny
    Your Welcome. Let me know how they hatch and if you don't get at least 8 chicks I will give you another dozen for free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by