NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    us locals kinds skip the fair [​IMG]. Yeah I forgot to add NYC is 2 to 2.5 hours depending on traffic.

2. horsekeeper

horsekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Middleburgh, NY
    I travel all over NY for my job and I would advise being close to the train station in Renssalear right across the river from Albany. Sure is a lot easier to take the train to NYC. I here it is rural and nice east of Troy. Easy commute to Albany and closer to CT.

I live outside of Middleburgh in Schoharie County (up on a hill) and the last place you want to live is down in the valley where you get flooded out every couple of years. Irene pretty much destroyed Middleburgh and Schoharie. Check on flooding, high wind areas, bad winter roads, and crappy water (I have sulpher and iron) before you jump in.

3. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Good luck, Rancher!

I crochet, but my granny squares are boring. I have a bunch of new square patterns on Pinterest, though. Once I go to night shift I'll have my days free (and every other week free) to take up crocheting and knitting again.

4. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
  5. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

6. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    One of those chicken farms was my neighbor. It got washed away during a flood in the late forties. One of the others was 1/2 mile away.

7. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    I'm familiar with Voorheesville, we moved here from Latham so we were neighbors! I think the idea is to find a centralized location between the three cities and be about an hour to an hour and half from them. With the exception of NYC. That one may be the furthest away. Idk, this may be a toughy...

8. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT

CT = Connecticut, it's where we are originally from. I said I would never leave now I'm saying I never wanna go back! LOL

9. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    what town did you grow up in? One building is still standing 1/2 mile from me. The other one that was that close collapsed when I was really young. The others are just foundations now.

10. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Lynzi, there is wonderful land in the sort of SE area of NY. Of course, land here is priced better, but it sounds like your husband is a talented guy who is climbing the ladder, and may have to be mobile. I have roots in the Peekskille area, and my grandparents lived near Poughkeepsie, and I've driven to SW CT since the 60s. I am sure there are lots possibilities out there for you, the land is beautiful. And the folks on the other NY thread seem wonderful. They refer to those who live north of NYC as being Upstate, though, so they talk funny. Pawling, Pleasant Valley, Brewster, Middleburg, Goshen, that whole area near West Point. . .Or you could look over the border into CT. Maybe check which would be more advantageous tax wise. I know my parents had to pay CT income tax and since my dad worked in NYC, they had to pay those taxes too. When he worked out of the office like in Milwaukee they could not pay taxes for those days. All very confusing to me, but might be relevant in your situation.

On the other thread, One woman has a beautiful home she must move from, to TX! Good luck, and keep us posted! You will do what is best for your family, and in each stage you can create a menagerie that will suit you and that situation. You won't have to be stuck in a situation that is not what you want for the rest of time. Like bad soil or too dry, bad terrain...you will have opportunities for change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by