NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Congrats Tab! I grew the same way with each pregnancy...big, bigger, and would someone please help me up cause I cant move! Wouldnt trade it for the world though.

Nice and sunny today which means the mud factor was horrendous when I went out this afternoon after work to feed and water everyone. I was wearing my heavy hiking boots (thank goodness) and they were almost sucked off my feet! Still have lots of snow in the yard but patches are starting to show and the driveway and most of the walking paths to the coops are clear. Its only by the divas coop that its still omg Im gonna die ice. I let my one group of silkies out to roam the driveway and little bit of grass that is showing next to it. The other group is out in their larger pen. Setting the silkie eggs I have been collecting tonight. Had to fiddle with my new brinsea oct 20 to get the temp down to the right number. My new genises 1588 is right on the money for temp and humidity. Got heritage rir eggs coming for that one. Going to see which one does the best (but I am keeping both!).

Now that temps have moderated a bit and we are getting more light, we have decided to drop back down to the lower protein egg production feed. I am getting 14 eggs a day from the terrorists (out of 19) so I think we can get by on the cheaper feed and letting them out once the snow is gone to forage. They are so cooped up and have cabin fever real bad. Hoping the rest of the snow goes soon. Now that I have said it we will probably get more. I have to say that the high proteing feed certainly made a difference for all my cheeps during the cold winter this year. They are at a good weight and look real good. Even my silkies have benefitted from it.

Sending out hatching eggs for the first time to someone this weekend. I hope the usps doesnt wreck them! If anyone on here wants some or some chicks, let me know. They are hatchery stock (my terrorist pen) rir, barred rock and red sexlinks. Just thought I would throw that out there in case anyone needed some. They are laying machines, thats for sure!

Time to go check on the kids (silkies) and finish my squares. I like this new hobby. Crocheting isnt hard at all!

2. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    pharm- crocheting is fun. its nice to be able to sit and have your hands busy.

Yesterday we got a heaped basket of eggs and today I go out and get 5. Hopefully they are just dawdling and layed later in the day. DH will check when he gets home.

3. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Yankee and L&S Journeys are NOT running a bus trip to the Mother Earth News Fair in where ever PA in September....confirmed on phone this afternoon. I just sent an email to Wade Tours regarding the possiblity of them starting a tour/trip to this event. It would have to be an overnight due to Federal Regulations on how long a driver can drive daily. I suggested that they stop in Syracuse to pick up more people. : )

4. County Boy

County Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2012
    Petersburg Ny
    Remington and Henry- (father and son)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Kit-Kat

Kit-Kat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Troy, NY
    They're beautiful! Wow, you've got a lot of snow, it's all mud over here.

Does anyone know what the Mother Earth News Fair is like? I saw it in the magazine as well (a little disappointed that there wasn't anything closer) - but wasn't sure if it was really worth the trip.

6. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    DH said you were looking bigger than you should be? And you refrained from slapping him silly??? [​IMG]

I was so large with my second, that one day I walked into a Burger King and the girl behind the counter says, "Oh, my GOD! You are huge!". (Like I didn't already know, right?) To make matters worse, when I went to leave, a limo had parked along side of me, literally 12" away from my door. I had to trudge back inside, find the driver and tell him I couldn't fit between the cars.
    Scary part is I had another 2 or 3 weeks to go. I had a 9 lb, 3 oz baby (and she's a peanut now!).

1 person likes this.
  7. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    Hello All and All Newbies!
    Been a couple days since I've posted, it's been a whirlwind over here. So much going on with family, and now DH sprung some news on me tonight while he was traveling to Albany that I swear I could strangle him for cuz now I'm left here alone with the kids all upset. But I figure since this is the NY thread and we have people from all over NY on this thread then maybe you all could help lift my spirits on this situation.

My husband works in the restaurant business and his company is growing and growing. In the past 5 years we've moved from CT to Albany, from Albany to Syracuse and now he's talking by next year moving up again in his position which means another move for our family. He told his boss he will not move any further away from CT than we are now. ALL of our family and friends are from CT and I like to travel there often especially since both sets of grandparents are there. We were JUST talking last night about eventually purchasing up here where we are now because I LOVE it SO MUCH! I tell him every day (not tomorrow but in the next 5-10years) how I want to build our next house and I want to build a barn I want to be in farm country so I can own whatever animal it is I want - a horse or two, goats, pigs etc and of course chickens (can't leave them out). I just love the idea of it all. Then he springs this move on me. This next position would require him to do a lot of traveling between NYC, Stamford, CT and possibly Albany. So my question for all of you is, IF we accept this and come to terms that we would have to move and I wanted to stay in NY, does anyone know of a good central location to all those cities that is like what I have here in Tully (farm country) that also has good schools as well? I am just so upset over all this and wish I never had to leave here. I thought we'd be here at LEAST 5 years before another talk of a move came up. [​IMG]

8. Cass

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Have never been, but if you go to the Mother Earth news web site there are blogs about what is going to be there and what has been in the past.

9. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    Cute!!! As always, love seeing pics of your chickens!

10. Cass

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Greene County would fit the bill....however you don't say if he is going to have a "home base". If it were me, I would want my home to be near my "home base". Once that has been determined then we can all pitch our best line for the area you are moving to. (or someplace close)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by