NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    No home base, he'll be traveling week by week among the 3 locations but probably more so between NYC and Stamford.

2. Desiree Brown

Desiree Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Schoharie NY
    Green county is nice. So is Schoharie county. I'm just outside Schoharie county.. I would want to be on higher elevation in Schoharie county tho. Like Middleburg. .. Huntersland ... Or Howes cave..

3. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    The thought of moving again just turns my stomach. So this is all appreciated. I'd rather hear from people who have been living in NY most of their life than to do this research on google and try to find a place on my own.

4. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I am in Voorheesville. 10 minutes from Albany and Schenectady. Small school (100 kids per grade) 20-23 per class. Excellent reputation. I have a child in high school, middle school and elemenatary and I work there too. Property is very nice, typically rolling hills/edge of Helderberg Mountains. Great drainage and fertile soils. Rocky though.

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If you two crochet how come you haven't joined any of the Granny Square swaps? I applied for job at Joannes nearby. Not sure I made a good impression on the woman who I suspect might bt the manager.

I could really use the job. Even if it's part time and doesn't pay much. I suspect the minimum wage will be going up sometime in the future.

6. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Have to ask. What is CT? Sorry you have to move again, but it's for his career, what can you do?

I grew up without my father because he joined the military and my mother refused to leave Syracuse to follow him. Not sure what my life would have been like had she done so. I'm fairly certain I'd have ended up in a warmer climate.

7. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I'd like to go, but not sure I could afford it. I'm also not sure DW would go. She's not a farmer.

8. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I grew up in Liverpool. It used to be farm country. Then all the building started, farms turned into tract housing and the cows moved on. To bad it was perfect for farming. Moved to the city and hated every minute of it.

You gotta get Mother Earth news and read up on homesteading. Might take you to another state but you might like it. If he does. Buy lots of land.

9. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I live in Eastern Columbia county. 5 miles from Berkshire county Mass. Sharon CT is 40 minutes from us. I don't know where in CT your family is. We go to Manchester once or twice a year and that is a 2 hour drive. Hartford about 1.5 hours.
    Our area is beautiful old farm country. 50 years ago there were 5 large chicken farms I know of within 5 miles of our house. 2 within 2 miles. Still some working small dairy farms. Lots of countryside. Hills, woods, fields, just nice. 35 minute ride to Albany. 20 minute ride to Pittsfield Mass. 10 minutes to Stockbridge Mass. Tanglewood is close if your into that kind of thing. My family moved to our property in 66. I'll probably die on the same land

10. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Yup, that's where you want to live if you are commuting to CT and NYC and Albany. Google Columbia County. Mapquest from some town they meantion on Google and see what the commute is to the locations your hubby will have to visit. Columbia county is a beautiful area with lots to do, lots to see , lots of history and lots of land. Then you can go to the county fair with all of us. LOL

Edited to add: Nope...unless he doesn't mind an over 2 hour commute to Stamford and 3 to NYC(I mapquested it)....need to look further south....Peeksville? Did you know there is a thread for lower NY State. They all have chickens and might be able to give you better info about good areas down there.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by