NY chicken lover!!!!

Just out of curiosity, have you tried duck eggs? Sometimes, people who are allergic to chicken eggs aren't allergic to duck eggs. Strange but true.

On the topic of eggs, how are everyone's birds laying? Mine were doing great up until last week, at which point they ALL decided to stop except one Easter Egger who's doing about two eggs a week.

I am drowning in eggs!! Let me know if you need any :p I just sold four chickens, but up until yesterday I was getting 30+ eggs a day. Yikes!

I'm still dealing with the issue between Oscar, the roo, and Blondie, my BO hen. I've tried a couple "tests", seeing what happens if I separate her and him several different times. It is definitely HIM who is the problem. Even some of the other hens will pick on her if he's around. They do not if he is not around. She is to the point where if he is inside the coop at all, she hides with feathers all fluffed and growls. This morning, I booted him outside and closed the door. I finally coaxed her out and once she realized he wasn't there she calmed right down and ate and drank, even with the other roo fairly aggressively dancing for her. She was obviously not afraid of the other roo. She will not even go outside if he is out in the run. Poor girl.
He has one last chance. Today I will drag out the brooder to put in the garage. He will spend about a week in confinement. If when he goes back to the flock, he hasn't been knocked off his high horse, he will go. Otherwise he's a great roo. Very protective and always keeps an eye out. I'm hoping he can stay, but I won't put up with her being picked on. She's never been anything but sweet.

We sent 12 birds to auction this morning and afterwards realized we forgot the one lone mille fleur d'uccle roo in the bantam pen. Oh well there will be other days. I'll consider him lucky.

On the maran egg topic, I know someone who sand papers part of the outer coating off to help with hatching.
Edited to add: She sand papers the section over the air sac.

Last edited:

We had a tiny little egg come out of the BLRW pen. I thought it would just be whites, but it did have a tiny little yolk. I fried a normal size egg with it to compare.

Cleaning the brooder and the girls decided to corral one of the chicks that were in a box waiting to be put back in the brooder.

I broke down and bought 6 ducklings at TSC after waiting there for over 2 hours hoping that someone else would walk in wanting ducklings. I only want 3 for my small garden and tried to find some local with out any luck. So now I'm offering 3 very friendly and personable ducklings to anyone close to the Albany area. All of them have been imprinted so they think they're human or they think I'm a duck. Either way they will make a great addition to your flock. If I had more land I'd keep them all. They are 10 days old now. I could keep them until they are out of the brooder or deliver them whenever you like. Of course I would love them to be pets like mine are but beggars can't be choosers. So please someone take three of my babies.

Whew! What a night.. I had to bring a rooster over to the auction tonight.. So I managed to get him in my poultry crate, but he was so agitated I thought he might cause trouble with the hens I was transporting.. So decided to stick him in a cat carrier instead and accidentally lost hold of him... So DH and I ran around in the woods for half an hour trying to catch a loudly protesting rooster (who is a fraidy cat - if he were mean and tried to attack us maybe we could catch him!). We finally got him herded back to his coop, through the electric fence and put a few of his ladies out so he could find his way home.. then snagged him after he roosted - at which time he screamed like a banshee. My neighbors must love me!!! :p

Well I'm sure it was good for the heart rate.

Your birds are great - it would be worth the road trip!

Well you just let me know when you're coming this way. I'll hatch a bunch and you can have them all.
lau.gif
If I get another row for this turner that will be 42 to start.

Oh, and I did NOT buy chicks at TSC.

I bought six Khaki Campbell ducklings instead.

They have a very bad habit of happening to have the exact breed I want when I go in there. I'll stick with local chicks from my peeps here, though! These are little sweeties - much more laid back than my Rouens were as ducklings.

I do want some but with no job and all these eggs in the fridge what would I do with more eggs.

Mud city

HEY O' MAN, WHATTA YE THINKS WE IS, A BUNCH A QUAKERS??!!

HEY O' MAN COME 'ON, LETS HAVE A RIDE ON THIS 'ERE TROLLEY! OUR TOES 'iS GETTIN SOGGY.

Back
Top Bottom