NY chicken lover!!!!

Desiree, this is a Black Jersey Giant hen. She has willow/gray colored legs and the bottoms of her feet are yellow. She is about a year and a half old and just getting filled out to her full size. I got her from a breeder last fall and all five of them were last year's hatch. They have all grown out, not up, since I got them. I believe that because they are a large chicken they take longer to fill out, so your pullet may still have a lot of growing to do if she is a JG.

Just saw a fox run across the woods in my backyard. GREEEEEAT! He didn't come into the yard tho. AND the ducks and chickens are out today and he didn't stop so hopefully he'll stay away.

Maybe let your hubby mark around the coop? I have read about people doing that to deter predators.

It turns out we have a Rooster delivery notification service ..LOL
Sammy SUMATRA is on my side / kitchen Deck Crowing Away this afternoon !
Im like what is his problem ? I go outside ...he is crowing at 2 packages that got delivered today ..
We did not even see them come ...obviously ..he must have !
lau.gif

Adorable!

Morning!
We set our first hatch last night. 62 eggs: 6 BLRW, 2 maran, and the rest were project OE. I hope to get an idea of how our fertility is doing. In one of the pens I have young rooster and want to know if he is doing his job yet.

Has anyone heard from Amy our other NY thread pharmacist?

Morning all. Terrorist breakfast of leftover ziti with bacon grease on it. Followed by crestor. Just kidding. Crisp this morning but not bad. Hoping it warms up today. I heard Legolas son trying to crow this morning. He has finally found his voice. Hopefully his crow will be much better than his dads. I think Little Man was trying to show him how a real crow sounds like as he was certainly being very vocal this morning. Although his son is a bit bigger than he, Legolas still rules the coop and everyone in it. Bill was the only one who was quiet this morning.

Gramma---I need a notification service like that.

Tab--good luck with your hatch.

So, anybody have a good name for the son of Honey? I sold him as a pullet to a neighbor a while ago along with some his sister, his half brother, and some actual pullets. Turns out he was a really late bloomer and now he's back here. So far he's taking after his daddy and has good temperament so he may stick around.

Is there a way to mark a hens bottom to know which eggs are hers?
Yes there is. Spray her vent area, feathers only, with some Blue Kote or brush on some Food Coloring paste. Eggs will get stained as they come out wet, but it won't affect them being eaten. If you use the food color paste it comes in different colors so you can do more than one bird. Otherwise just do one bird at a time.

Desiree, this is a Black Jersey Giant hen. She has willow/gray colored legs and the bottoms of her feet are yellow. She is about a year and a half old and just getting filled out to her full size. I got her from a breeder last fall and all five of them were last year's hatch. They have all grown out, not up, since I got them. I believe that because they are a large chicken they take longer to fill out, so your pullet may still have a lot of growing to do if she is a JG.

JG's were to be the new commercial breed after I think the BR or Del. The problem was the feed to growth ratio. In short they took to long to reach weight and ate to much feed. Commercial industry needed a chicken that grew fast and ate little. Blacks are larger than blues or whites so I've read. They are however a nice breed, but like most of us here, I my limitations. Like my CR's they are late to mature.

Maybe let your hubby mark around the coop? I have read about people doing that to deter predators.

Adorable!

Laugh if you want to but so far it's worked for me pretty much. Of course it could be my area. I have heard there are coyotes and I did have a fox attack last year. That was only the second time I'd seen a fox in 6 or 7 years. The one and only time one tried to take a bird. I say tried cuz I recused her and she's still with me.

I took and old pair of jeans and stapled them to a tree and mark them often. Nice and high so the wind carries my scent. Is that TMI? So far no tracks other than a cat have been sighted and the occasional deer, but nothing lately. Now if I could do something about the Hawks.

Back
Top Bottom