NY chicken lover!!!!

Hope you all are stayin warm! I'm trying to find projects to do in the house without making a bigger mess. Making the spare bedroom into "THE CHICKEN ROOM" This house is so hard to heat I've got my beanie and jacket on .. sigh. Crankin the heat up, the wind just kills us here. Takin the fan out of a old computer to put in the hovabator before we run it again.
DH and I went to Syracuse yesterday and picked up some Silkie eggs from fernwoodj9 he had a little classified add on BYC.. Unpacked and set out and had 3 extras not a dozen woot! Never had Silkies this will be so fun. Pretty little eggs! well not so little for what I expected tho they are so nice. Some little 4H girls I know will like to have a couple of those chicks I bet.
The LaBresse eggs came this morning from PA with 3 extras as well. Very excited to get them started tomorrow. I still have 18 open holes in the egg tray
hmm.png

Going to pick up some beloved Delaware eggs from ranchr hicks next week so that will cover some empty spots.
The turkey eggs are doing ok so far, tomorrow is day 7 candle. DH and I are having a eggs candle party. I hope I can see something! The shells seem very thick. I checked the air cells on day four and one of the blue slates was still detached so that one is history. I'll be so happy if at least 2 of the three remaining Blue Slate eggs hatch, oh heck I'd be happy with just one! . There are 11 royal palms too. Crossin my paws. Still looking for more local turkey eggs pm me if you have some for sale thanks!

Last edited:
Hope you all are stayin warm! I'm trying to find projects to do in the house without making a bigger mess. Making the spare bedroom into "THE CHICKEN ROOM" This house is so hard to heat I've got my beanie and jacket on .. sigh. Crankin the heat up, the wind just kills us here. Takin the fan out of a old computer to put in the hovabator before we run it again. DH and I went to Syracuse yesterday and picked up some Silkie eggs from [COLOR=B42000]fernwoodj9 [/COLOR] he had a little classified add on BYC.. Unpacked and set out and had 3 extras not a dozen woot! Never had Silkies this will be so fun. Pretty little eggs! well not so little for what I expected tho they are so nice. Some little 4H girls I know will like to have a couple of those chicks I bet. The LaBresse eggs came this morning from PA with 3 extras as well. Very excited to get them started tomorrow. I still have 18 open holes in the egg tray :/ Going to pick up some beloved Delaware eggs from ranchr hicks next week so that will cover some empty spots. The turkey eggs are doing ok so far, tomorrow is day 7 candle. DH and I are having a eggs candle party. I hope I can see something! The shells seem very thick. I checked the air cells on day four and one of the blue slates was still detached so that one is history. I'll be so happy if at least 2 of the three remaining Blue Slate eggs hatch, oh heck I'd be happy with just one! . There are 11 royal palms too. Crossin my paws. Still looking for more local turkey eggs pm me if you have some for sale thanks!
If your air cells are detached don't give up hope on them! Let them sit in the incubator with the rest, on a slant, just don't turn them with the rest. (I see you have a turner tho so that may be hard to do) when I had Silkie eggs shipped all air cells detached but out of the 11 that were detached, 7 reattached and went into the incubator.

If your air cells are detached don't give up hope on them! Let them sit in the incubator with the rest, on a slant, just don't turn them with the rest. (I see you have a turner tho so that may be hard to do) when I had Silkie eggs shipped all air cells detached but out of the 11 that were detached, 7 reattached and went into the incubator.

Nvrmnd. I read that too fast! I see now that you said on day 4 it was STILL detached. Oops! ;-)

Okay thanks I will keep watch and see what happens. It had already been in the bator 4 days.. I figured it had been in the incubator 4 days and still not attached it was toast.

The turkey eggs are in a different incubator with no turner and I am just propping up the sides of the bator alternating - side - flat other side during the day at 38 degrees angle to avoid so much handling.

I really need to check in here more than once in a blue moon - when post counts are in the THOUSANDS, I've been out too long.
big_smile.png

I am over this weather. No more. The few days it was warm enough to get water from the outside tap instead of having to haul it from the downstairs bathroom were like heaven. I'm ready to complain about the heat now.

So, I either need to downsize the turkey flock or separate them out into groups, as my Pencilled Palm tom and my subordinate Bronze tom don't see eye to eye and are squabbling constantly, and I'm thinking about showing my big Bronze with one of his ladies in a fair and want his feathers to be in good condition. Also, love is in the air, and Alan has witnessed a little ooh-la-la going on down there, so there needs to be room for poults.
gig.gif
I'm considering selling off the Palm tom and/or the subordinate Bronze tom with a couple of hens, just to free up room. If anybody is in the market for a few heritage turkeys, let me know. They've handled this cruddy winter like champs, are all healthy and friendly, and are great birds.

This is the Palm boy - he's a Royal Palm variant with brown pencilling in the feathers.

no worries on the plum trees - they are going to 2 feet or so tall -- twigs - basically - but they will be 2-3 years old and thus have made it through a tough winter and are still kicking - so all should be extremely hardy. They grow pretty fast - they will puff/bush out if you don't prune them - I like to prune them NOW and bring the branches inside and I get little flowers and leaves from sticks I cut !

Well Morehens disease strikes again!! I got a pair of black Frizzles today! I'm been planning on them for a while. Thanks ke5hde! They are awesome.They were so worth the wait. They are living in my new mini coop with an attached run for now.

And I also picked up my new Blue Runner ducks from Lynzi..(Watch her she is an enabler!) And not only did I come home with the 2 girls, but I added in a Pekin to. I had them as a kid and I always loved them...Then I was a sucker and picked up 2 Silver laced Cochins too...

..Oh Lord I cam home with 7 more birds..

...Then DH came home...
fl.gif
...He sees all the new additions...
ep.gif
..then it starts
rant.gif
he.gif
somad.gif
barnie.gif
...then...
idunno.gif
and
roll.png
I was like
hugs.gif
and
love.gif
and
bow.gif
...Now I'm
clap.gif
!

He's not really happy but he loves me so for now it is all good.

(Easier to tell the story with pictures then in words)

Last edited:
I really need to check in here more than once in a blue moon - when post counts are in the THOUSANDS, I've been out too long.
big_smile.png

I am over this weather. No more. The few days it was warm enough to get water from the outside tap instead of having to haul it from the downstairs bathroom were like heaven. I'm ready to complain about the heat now.

So, I either need to downsize the turkey flock or separate them out into groups, as my Pencilled Palm tom and my subordinate Bronze tom don't see eye to eye and are squabbling constantly, and I'm thinking about showing my big Bronze with one of his ladies in a fair and want his feathers to be in good condition. Also, love is in the air, and Alan has witnessed a little ooh-la-la going on down there, so there needs to be room for poults.
gig.gif
I'm considering selling off the Palm tom and/or the subordinate Bronze tom with a couple of hens, just to free up room. If anybody is in the market for a few heritage turkeys, let me know. They've handled this cruddy winter like champs, are all healthy and friendly, and are great birds.

This is the Palm boy - he's a Royal Palm variant with brown pencilling in the feathers.

I was just asking about you a week or two ago. Get together is at my place again this year.

Well Morehens disease strikes again!! I got a pair of black Frizzles today! I'm been planning on them for a while. Thanks ke5hde! They are awesome.They were so worth the wait. They are living in my new mini coop with an attached run for now.

And I also picked up my new Blue Runner ducks from Lynzi..(Watch her she is an enabler!) And not only did I come home with the 2 girls, but I added in a Pekin to. I had them as a kid and I always loved them...Then I was a sucker and picked up 2 Silver laced Cochins too...

..Oh Lord I cam home with 7 more birds..

...Then DH came home...
fl.gif
...He sees all the new additions...
ep.gif
..then it starts
rant.gif
he.gif
somad.gif
barnie.gif
...then...
idunno.gif
and
roll.png
I was like
hugs.gif
and
love.gif
and
bow.gif
...Now I'm
clap.gif
!

He's not really happy but he loves me so for now it is all good.

(Easier to tell the story with pictures then in words)
I can hook you up with pekin eggs to hatch if you would like more.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom