NY chicken lover!!!!

After that pig that was in my run I put the cam behind my big coop, hadn't used it since before deer season. Had hundreds of pics of my extra giant cockerel cull that got loose and had been free ranging wild for a few weeks. I was sick of chasing him....I forgot the cam was back there Lol! He decided to walk right in the big coop while I was feeding the girls during this last cold/snow snap, couldn't get him to go in before even luring him with corn. Now he temporarily has a 'harem'.

He Smartened up..figured out what he was missing
I tried several ways to catch him, even at night in the dark. He roosted on a cement block next to our house, snuck up on him in the dark, still got away. You'd be surprised how far a chicken can go in the dark, I think he thinks he's a Leghorn... Had someone say they use a chicken catcher when they do their NPIP testing, Googled chicken catcher cause I didn't know what one was, made one, no help. Thought it was funny though, this America's got talent video popped up, funny video, Chicken catcher, great singer, so I Googled him, he won season four of America's Got Talent.
0.jpg

After that pig that was in my run I put the cam behind my big coop, hadn't used it since before deer season. Had hundreds of pics of my extra giant cockerel cull that got loose and had been free ranging wild for a few weeks. I was sick of chasing him....I forgot the cam was back there Lol! He decided to walk right in the big coop while I was feeding the girls during this last cold/snow snap, couldn't get him to go in before even luring him with corn. Now he temporarily has a 'harem'.
I can't believe he did not get made into a meal by some animal. He's handsome!

Lots of beautiful chicks here for sale- $5 each or best offer! These are the hatchers out of my Greenfire mix Coop, light sussex coop and isbar/hona coop. Lots of neat chickens here. May be pure may be mix....

I have another hen that's gone broody. Last girl sat on unviable eggs. Not sure if this girl has good eggs under her or not. I have another hen that keeps laying eggs near her, and she pulls them under her and adds them to her clutch. I may be looking for a few babies to slip under her in a couple weeks if TSC doesn't have any left. Does anyone have any suggestions for what would be a good to cross with buff orpingtons to work toward a sustainable flock?

Dave

I have another hen that's gone broody. Last girl sat on unviable eggs. Not sure if this girl has good eggs under her or not. I have another hen that keeps laying eggs near her, and she pulls them under her and adds them to her clutch. I may be looking for a few babies to slip under her in a couple weeks if TSC doesn't have any left. Does anyone have any suggestions for what would be a good to cross with buff orpingtons to work toward a sustainable flock?

Dave
Those big fluffy yellow chicks I have are either full sulmtaler, sulmtaler/bielefelder or light sussex (Which has one LS roo over 2 LS hens, 1 sulmtaler hen and one CCL hen) and an orust roo who doesn't get mating time. Anyhow, nice dual purpose breeds & all are great with multiple roo flocks. I haven't had any issues in any of my large fowl houses.

Did a broody check in tonight, and all her eggs but one seem to be developing well. A few I think are about 2 days behind the first ones, so hopefully she'll sit until they hatch. If not, they'll get popped in the incubator and then given back to her once they've hatched. She's the only one out of the three that were brooding who has stuck it out. Another one lost her first batch of eggs to a raven (the thing is back at egg stealing this year) and gave up at three weeks exactly even though I gave her new eggs. The other one had been broody for about five days but the eggs are missing from her nest and she's not brooding so I think the raven stole them and she gave up, which is odd because between the three of them she's the nastiest when she broods so I would have thought the raven would have no chance of getting them from her.

Seriously, this **** bird is going right into both of my coops and stealing eggs right out of the nests. Unfortunately I think my birds are now going to have to be locked in until one each day so they lay their eggs and I can collect them before letting them out to range.

Did a broody check in tonight, and all her eggs but one seem to be developing well. A few I think are about 2 days behind the first ones, so hopefully she'll sit until they hatch. If not, they'll get popped in the incubator and then given back to her once they've hatched. She's the only one out of the three that were brooding who has stuck it out. Another one lost her first batch of eggs to a raven (the thing is back at egg stealing this year) and gave up at three weeks exactly even though I gave her new eggs. The other one had been broody for about five days but the eggs are missing from her nest and she's not brooding so I think the raven stole them and she gave up, which is odd because between the three of them she's the nastiest when she broods so I would have thought the raven would have no chance of getting them from her.

Seriously, this **** bird is going right into both of my coops and stealing eggs right out of the nests. Unfortunately I think my birds are now going to have to be locked in until one each day so they lay their eggs and I can collect them before letting them out to range.
A Raven thief!!!
ep.gif

I bought some poultry netting from Lowes when I lost my biggest nicest giant pullet to a hawk last fall. Already had chicken wire top on big coop run to keep those IN, but these were in another run. I didn't think it cost much but it looks like it is $55 for a 7'x100' roll. I cut it in half, attached it with cheap plastic zipties from Harbor Freight, and topped a 14'x50' semi movable run, (takes a couple hrs to move coop and run). No more air predator worries.

Back
Top Bottom