NY chicken lover!!!!

Quote: He was fine when I last saw him, he'd flown over the one fence to try to get back to his hens. He was pacing the fence line, and I figured I'd find him when I went to close up the coops. I think he got "lost" trying to find his way back to his hens. Poor guy, should have just let him stay with his ladies.
Poor Guy ..

I've decided to get some chicks. Anyone have (or will have) EE and Marans? I will also take fertile eggs to incubate if anyone has some. I'm near Clifton Park area. Hoping to get my babies from someone on here instead of ordering. I only want 6 and don't feel like dealing with the hassle of ordering.

Hi Peep This. Welcome. I frequently go to the Herkimer TSC and will let you know what they have. I plan to have EE hatching by Chickenstock, but unfortunately I can't sex them and won't know their gender until >8 weeks old usually. I usually sell them straight run for 2-5/chick depending on what I set. I know my SIL is hatching some pretty egg colors now but don't know her plans. They aren't EE per say but have blue and brown egg laying genes.
Thank you. I think I am all set. Someone on here is gonna hatch me some chicks. I am very excited.

I will have BCMarans and also a mix of Pure Marans just in different feather coloring (two blue/splash mothers, two bc/crossed w cuckoo) - but it is too cold here now to even have them separated in their breeder pens ... SO ... I'll have fertile eggs at chickenstock - and maybe some peeps -but not promise on the peeps because I don't do this enough to cover buying one - so it is all up to the hens if I have peeps by then or not :)

I'll have very limited AK Blues and then olive egger mixes.

I've decided to get some chicks. Anyone have (or will have) EE and Marans? I will also take fertile eggs to incubate if anyone has some. I'm near Clifton Park area. Hoping to get my babies from someone on here instead of ordering. I only want 6 and don't feel like dealing with the hassle of ordering.

I have hens who lay all different shades of green & I just separated a bunch of them into a few breeding groups. They're descendants of EEs, Legbar & my Catskill Homesteaders. Lots of different feather color varieties & patterns, but not all will have beards/muffs. I'll be hatching chicks & also have hatching eggs.

@Pyxis - thanks for the info. If I lived closer to you & didn't already have an absurd number of roosters, then I'd be more tempted take him. I already have one rooster who may be an OE, but not sure, except that he has slightly feathered feet. Yet, that's no guarantee. I was drooling over someone's "gray / olive" eggs - but as I was packing up eggs today, I noticed that I had one already! :celebrate Yes, I'll post a photo - but it's on my phone & I'm on my laptop now. ---- On a sad note, I lost my Blue Barnevelder rooster today. I'd switched roosters, so he was "fenced out" of his coop/separated, yet he still had the main winter flock where he'd visited during the day for several weeks. I couldn't find him last night, look for him, but didn't find him. This morning, though, I saw him huddled in the 5+ inches of snow, very cold. No frostbite, but visibly very cold & weak. I gave him food and water, and was going to check on him, but forgot until this evening, when I found him dead. I think the drastic changes in temperature with no shelter overnight did it. It was 40* yesterday, down to like 12* this am with snow, then hardly reaching 20* during the day today. Even though, he survived -20* temps last winter - yet he stayed inside the coop that day! I'll miss him, as he was a sweet, very gentle rooster. Thankfully, he passed his good looks, genetics & personality onto several of his daughters. So, he served his purpose & I guess it was his time to go.
Sorry for your loss. Also beautiful eggs.

Very small comb and almost no wattles to speak of, didn't know he was a he until recently when he grew saddle feathers. He was hatched late July. His parents are my frizzle OE rooster Leo, who is descended from marans and I believe ameraucanas with something added for the frizzle gene (Tab bred him, he's from her eggs) and the mother is one of my EE hens, not sure what's in her background, she's just a generic hatchery EE but she lays green eggs.

He's the spitting image of his father, just not frizzled. Daddy Leo:

My original frizzle pullet came from Rancher, she was out if his buckwheat hen (a cuckoo maran X frenchy cross I believe). I crossed her with an OE (cuckoo maran X Ameraucana cross). These were my first generation maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Since then I have bred in genetics from silver ameraucana, golden cuckoo maran, and NN for my OE project.

Off the chicken topic:

I don't like our toilet seat as it's stained by the cleaner and yuk. What do you recommend?

Too, looking to switch toilet to a dual flush system. What do you recommend.

Been to Consumer reports but not a subscriber yet.

thanks.

rancher

I just replace the toilet seat when that happens, the plastic ones last a long time. I bought bamboo toilet seats when we bought our house....they didn't last a year.

We have a dual drain system on both our toilets. I just picked one up from the local hardware store. The thing is....we never use the 1/2 flush. I don't think anyone ever remembers. The half flush is up, if the half flush was down and was the default then we would use it more.

Amber

A good way to repurpose that old toilet seat... I have a nest box in my run, for sunny days. I cut an access hole in the run wall, and mounted the toilet seat. Instant door!

Back
Top Bottom