NY chicken lover!!!!

I recently bought some vacant land on the edge of Lapeer, and would love to make some friends there with similar interests. I'm sort of a 'frustrated farmer' in that I grow many things in my apartment
I can hardly wait to get some stuff in the ground (for next year), and get started with my chickens.
/QUOTE]
Welcome , Sounds like you have a interesting apartment ..
Chickens and gardening work well together ..Longs the chickens arent in the garden ..
As they can really tear it up 20161228_154233.jpg here they where helping me harvest potatoes

I live about 40 minutes south of Albany. Just ordered some new chicks from My Pet Chicken so I could get the breeds I wanted. Want new chicks so my grandkids can enjoy them from the very beginning. We will use a big dog crate on the back porch first. This is my first time trying to add to my flock so I think we need a small interim coop before they go in with our 3 Golden Comets and 1 rooster. We will probably build it ourselves and put it into the big fenced in area that my run opens into. While they are in there we won't let the adult birds into that area at all. They will just free range. Does that make sense? How has everyone added to their flock? What kind of housing did you need for the young birds?
What I have been doing is when I got my baby chicks at 1 wk old I kept them in metal dog crate in my house so I could keep them warm. As it is summer here. My big ladies don't have a heat lamp yet. So I put a regular bulb into a heat lamp light to keep them warm. I was told we would possibly loose a few of them. I am proud to say all 6 babies are now happy and healthy and getting very big at 11wks. From the beginning I have been taking them from the house to the big coral area in a small aquarium at first then in cages. Now I let them run with the big ladies and my rooster But only while I am in there. They have all been doing great like that. (Oh by the way the babies have been in their own coral with heat lamp since July 4.) In September I will be letting them go in big coral without any supervision. Nervous but think they will be fine all goes well while I am there. THIS is the first time with baby chickens. And in March of this yr is when I got my first chickens ever

Next spring I am going to be looking for baby Guineas(keets) I think they are called. Any idea on where to find them. I have a lot of property so I will be cooping them as they r little one so they know where home is. Then when they are around 6 mos. Old I will free Range them. in hopes they come back home every night

Next spring I am going to be looking for baby Guineas(keets) I think they are called. Any idea on where to find them. I have a lot of property so I will be cooping them as they r little one so they know where home is. Then when they are around 6 mos. Old I will free Range them. in hopes they come back home every night

If you come to next year's chickenstock, I can bring some for you. I've got lavenders and buff dundottes. Together they will produce lavenders, buff dundottes, and porcelains.

Hi
boskelli1571 I live in Gouverneur NY. About 2hrs from you.
Welcome to the flock! :) Looks like Pyxis is going to set you up with keets...nice. If you need any particular breeds shout out on here. Many of us raise different types and are more than willing to help out.
Here's a pic of my latest hatchling (2 days early!)
DSCF6004 (2).JPG

hey everyone :) I'm new to the site and I found this NY thread. Sorry if I'm interrupting any conversation, I just thought I'd join the thread. I live on Long Island and I've got 10 girls. Anything I should know about the thread?
Welcome to the madness. :wee

The moral of this story is that those who say no to contribution to a product do not deserve to enjoy the product: "if any would not work, neither should he eat."[2]
"2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat."". bible.cc.
Modern english Version - In fact, when we were with you, we used to give you this order: “If anyone does not want to work, neither let him eat.”[/QUOTE] I was aware of this verse, but didn't want to take the time to look it up. ;)

If you come to next year's chickenstock, I can bring some for you. I've got lavenders and buff dundottes. Together they will produce lavenders, buff dundottes, and porcelains.

What are dundottes?

Everyone else: Well I've had a few hits on the ducks, but no takers. Trouble is I work now and I"m just plan tired. They are a bit of work. Lord have mercy, last night I went out the close them up and let them know it was me and they came running out. They do come at me looking for Lord knows what. I did fill their pool. What do folks do during the winter? I'm afraid I won't be taking enough water out each day for them.

the hens have hatched more than I'd like and the marans are not hardy at hatching, so that has me down. Not enough EE's are lavender but a few. I lost one hen this week. They're getting old so I'm not to upset. I do have about 7 new chicks.
I will have some Del/lav EE chicks for free if anyone is interested.

As I said I'm working but for part time usually 25+ hours. This last stint was 10 days in a row and 34+ hours.

I've got DW to take care of and the yard and house too. I can't get the darned weed whacker going and it's hold somethings up.

Blue berries? Anyone got advice on where to plant them? Plus and Apple tree too. :th I dragged Buckthorns to the burn pile and burned those. Took a long time. Watered the garden and chickens and chicks and spread some cardboard.

Son left today for home in Alaska. Everyone is gone now. Daughters wedding very nice.

Well take care gotta make dinner.

TTFN,

Rancher

What are dundottes?

Buff dundotte is a guinea color :)

did fill their pool. What do folks do during the winter? I'm afraid I won't be taking enough water out each day for them.

I provide them with 2 1/2 gallon buckets full of water, so they have enough room to dunk their heads up to their eyes, which they require. They don't get swimming water in the winter. Well, usually; I might put a pond deicer in their pool this year and see how that does.

It varies .. as someone hosts it at their house .
This year it was Harpersville ..Next year maybe ..Rome

Oh if you guys have it in Rome in the spring, that would be awesome. That's only about an hour from me and I could finally actually meet everyone!

Went to TSC today and won't you know they have chicks. And won't you know they happened to have some breeds I have been wanting. And won't you know, I came home with some....as if I need more!

Back
Top Bottom