NY chicken lover!!!!

Hello- we’re moving abroad and therefore have to say goodbye to our beloved egg laying pets. We’re looking for a good home, so not giving away to just anybody as we want to make sure they do not end up in soup or fighting arena.

located in Westchester, New York. Happy to work out transportation/delivery together.
  • 6 bantam pullets (polish, silky, cochin, serama, easter-egger, d’uccle)
  • Coop
  • Run (omlet fence)
  • Automatic night-door with timer
  • Heater for winter
  • Waterer with float valve
  • 2 spill-free feeder-buckets
  • New PDZ bags
  • 50lbs feed bag

Attachments

• 43E39F15-DA60-4B6C-B840-79878960CC20.jpeg
    43E39F15-DA60-4B6C-B840-79878960CC20.jpeg
    1,012 KB · Views: 15
  • 6FA5DEB9-6985-44A6-B394-9C076DDA2094.jpeg
    6FA5DEB9-6985-44A6-B394-9C076DDA2094.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 15
I found some jimson weed growing in my garden this year .... it has been growing out there for a few years but this is our first year doing the veggies in that area and I had no clue that was what it was until I used my plant identifier app the other day. I pulled it all up (3 plants) and this years seed pods didnt drop BUT I was going to let my chickens run in that garden until it got cold and I would be moving them to an old veggie patch closer to the house. Any issues with chickens digging, scratching up and consuming old seeds from previous years? I used to have a massive flock of birds but moved in 2016. Our yard here is small so my flock will only be 4-6 birds. I have 3-4 spots to rotate their tractor between but now I am wondering about this one veggie patch and it’s safety. I wont let the jimson weed grow again, now that I know what it is but past season’s seeds are a concern until someone tells me differently. I cant find anything about pasturing a flock where jimson weed used to grow. Any advice or your experience after pulling your weeds would be helpful. Thanks!
I don't know for sure but I would not let the chickens root around in it just in case.
Gramma Chick- it is a hallucinogenic and in sufficient quantities can kill. Apparently teenagers have experimented with it with unfortunate results........:(

I don't know for sure but I would not let the chickens root around in it just in case.
Gramma Chick- it is a hallucinogenic and in sufficient quantities can kill. Apparently teenagers have experimented with it with unfortunate results........:(

I had read that about people experimenting with the hallucinogenic properties, as well. I don't need any hallucinogenic chickens wandering around. lol We did till for the garden this year so I am hoping those seeds are mixed deeper than when they simply fell to the earth and sat waiting to germinate. I think I’ll block off that end of the garden so the girls cant get to it. My plan for the patch with the jimson seeds will be adapted to cover it with clover now, end of Nov lay cardboard over it and mulch on top of that with compost and shredded leaves. In a few years the soil will be built up and I’ll feel more comfortable letting them pasture the entire garden. The other end of the garden my girls will pasture and fertilize, then I’ll follow with the cardboard/mulch. I appreciate your input.

I had never heard of it before ...it is Poisonous to humans and animals .
it looks like the seeds are the most toxic part of the plant
http://www.plantsoftheworldonline.org/taxon/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:314738-2

They are! It is where the toxins are most concentrated. Unfortunately, the seeds can last up to a century in the soil so I presume chickens must have rooted around and foraged in areas where it has been before. I was hoping for someone who had experience with how to deal with an area of known jimson weed. I am concerned enough I olan to build up the soil and use a no till method so the seeds aren't disturbed. I’ll keep my girls off that section of this particular garden for a few years while the soil collects and builds up. The goal is just to let them in the gardens for a month at the end of the season and maybe another few weeks in early spring so they can fertilize it naturally before I plant ... LOTS of grass, crickets and other bugs in there for them to graze on. And, honestly, the jimson section is only 1/4 of that garden so, once I block it with fencIng, they still have lots of room to forage. Thank you for responding! I so appreciate the wisdom in this group.

I had read that about people experimenting with the hallucinogenic properties, as well. I don't need any hallucinogenic chickens wandering around. lol We did till for the garden this year so I am hoping those seeds are mixed deeper than when they simply fell to the earth and sat waiting to germinate. I think I’ll block off that end of the garden so the girls cant get to it. My plan for the patch with the jimson seeds will be adapted to cover it with clover now, end of Nov lay cardboard over it and mulch on top of that with compost and shredded leaves. In a few years the soil will be built up and I’ll feel more comfortable letting them pasture the entire garden. The other end of the garden my girls will pasture and fertilize, then I’ll follow with the cardboard/mulch. I appreciate your input.
I think that's wise. Any loose seeds will probably germinate next year and if you remove them right away you should be able to eradicate it completely :)

Hello- we’re moving abroad and therefore have to say goodbye to our beloved egg laying pets. We’re looking for a good home, so not giving away to just anybody as we want to make sure they do not end up in soup or fighting arena.

located in Westchester, New York. Happy to work out transportation/delivery together.
  • 6 bantam pullets (polish, silky, cochin, serama, easter-egger, d’uccle)
  • Coop
  • Run (omlet fence)
  • Automatic night-door with timer
  • Heater for winter
  • Waterer with float valve
  • 2 spill-free feeder-buckets
  • New PDZ bags
  • 50lbs feed bag
I’m in Westchester, I’d be interested in a couple of
items!

I snapped some pictures of the birds today! And realized that yes, I do need a new zoom lens. Mine just isn't taking sharp pictures any more. Sorry if the pictures look a bit fuzzy.

Here's a cute little muddy hen:

aztec hen.JPG

Here's a picture I snapped of one of the hens mid-preen:

aztec hen preen.JPG

And this I found interesting. This is two of my porcelain drakes next to each other. They are the same age. The size difference is pretty big. One of them obviously is tending more towards the genes of his Call ancestors than the other. Oh, the white duck is a Call, not an Aztec.

aztec drakes.JPG

Here's Ciara, all grown up now:

ciara oct 2020.JPG

And my feral EE bantam cockerel. And when I say feral, I mean he sleeps in trees, won't let me get near him, and hangs out in the woods most of the time:

feral rooster.JPG

No space for the ladies?
I wish! The coop is big enough, but I’ve been told the run is sized for 4, and I have 5. If I could make the run bigger, then maybe (only allowed 6 by law shhhhhh.) I’d need some way to keep them separate too.

Back
Top Bottom