O.K. Here's what I am thinking!

LegginMF12

Songster
12 Years
May 2, 2011
Yucca Valley
I live on 5 acres, fully fenced. I am going to get my own incubator in bit. Now DH doesn't really hafta know exactly what kinda eggs I put in my 'bator. So what I was thinking is.....There are tons of abandoned houses that have fallen over that I can scavage wood from, therefore DH can build me a BIG coop.
lol.png
With me so far? LOL. I also have an unused hot tub that DH refuse to try and see if it will work. I don't like to waste things so I was thinking it would make a GREAT duck pond! I will also probably get some quail to hatch as DH likes quail, and maybe throw him in a new gun stock. Oooohhhh, I feel some skulduggery coming on. "But honey they just looked like big chicken eggs to me and honestly I thought the quail were Bantam chickens". "I promise I will be more careful next time I get eggs" "Have you seen the English Orps vs the hatchery Orps? I figure I gave up thousands of dollars and a lifetime of horses to move into this house and DH told me I need to get a hobby. Poor man, good thing he loves me! MMMMMHHHHH... thinking about it I think I need a few pheasant also.

Scrounging wood from abandoned houses is trespassing, theft, and vandalism. Those houses aren't public goods; they belong to someone. Actually, even public goods you aren't permitted to just carry away.

I hear they have computers in the county jail, though, so you'll be able to keep up with Backyard Chickens.

I would start with only one or two types of birds at first. Jumping in both feet isn't always the best idea although I appreciate your enthusiasm. Of the birds I've had I thought the pheasants were the prettiest to look at and would love to have them again someday, but we weren't set up properly for them.

Quote:
These houses have been abandoned for more than 20 years. Most of them are homesteader houses. We went to one and the county was there cleaning up the lot (they had had a small fire there) and they helped load my truck full of wood not once but twice! They guy said they really don't care as the properties are county owned and the less the trash they have to move the better for them. We only salvage from houses that have already collapsed. If the house is standing or fenced we don't touch them. Did you know that in Ca if you own property and it is not fenced and say someone comes over and builds a chicken coop on your property and it stays there for a couple of years because you never came and checked on your property, the person who built the coop can legally do a hostile take over and assume legal ownership of the property for just the cost of filing fees?

This is the lot across the street from my house.

lot1.jpg

lot2.jpg

I was on ebay one day and saw Thai gamefowl. DH asked how big they get, and I showed him the oriental pics.
NO! he said. Click, I ordered them. HAH. Thank goodness they are slow growing. And beautiful!
And he thinks they are all girls, 'cause they don't have big combs.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom