Obsessed Rooster

Have you considered a no-crow collar?
Yes. I have two. When we tried putting it on him (loosely to get used to it) he tried to back out of it and ended up smashing in to stuff. We worry about him hurting himself. He’s pretty good. He does his morning crowing usually around 730. Sometimes he crows midday but that’s about it. Only when he gets a bug up his butt does it become an all day affair. I work from home and people find it mostly entertaining. I do roll his enclosure out of the office if I have a super important meeting.

Good thing he's a small bird, easier to handle. If you keep his feed consistent, not giving him to may treats, he should just drop semi dry poop. So no need for diaper, just remember to pick it up. Lol.

I paper trained a rooster. Sort of. Back when I began my flock, I ended up with a rooster out of a batch of Wyandotte pullets. My run was too small for a partitioned area for this fellow, and he needed to be separate as he was a maniac with the hens. So he would spend days outside the run.

This became impractical when winter came. It was too cold and miserable to leave him out, so I brought him into the garage. He was in a dog crate most of the time, but periodically, I would take him out and place him on a newspaper on a window shelf. He would poop, and then I would put him back in the crate. He wasn't abused, he did spend time with the hens, so he wasn't deprived of all chicken companionship and he roosted every night with the flock.
P1010002.JPG

Stan the Wyandotte

Roosters are quite smart. They easily learn their name and respond to it, respond to discipline, so it follows that they could probably be paper trained as you would a puppy.

Begin by confining him to a paper in a small space as you would a puppy. Then expand his space to include bare floor. If he is about to squat on the bare floor, as you would a puppy, you move him quickly onto the paper. Chickens are creatures of habit, and I imagine it wouldn't take long to house break or paper train a roo.

Back
Top Bottom