October 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Checked my Araucana eggs again from pen #2. Definitely only have 9 of the pures, still have 12 of the 3/4 Ara. Pen #1 eggs (silkie, silkie cross) went to a friend to incubate. first dozen from pen #3 look clear but the rooster wasn't in long before I tried incubating (soo impatient lol) so have another 10 in a incubator and collecting more.
No luck with the Muscovy eggs, the drake is still young so looks like maybe next time.
Shipped Welsummers are developing and 1 out of the 3 other eggs are developing

Too early to candle here so did some egg cracking to see if fertility in pens had improven since 2 weeks ago after doing some butt trimming. Orpingtons look to both be fertile, partridge Wyandottes both fertile (so I guess the chicken brazilians paid off) and the little pencils are still iffy (too small for my bad eyesight to determine) so look forward to seeing what incubator says

Joining in if I may, if my eggs are fertile! Wasn't planning on hatching now, but thought I would check my new cockerels fertility (that is the justification anyway, nothing to do with cute little fluff nuggets or anything...)
I am collecting now from a silkie pullet and a silkie/polish cross. Cockerel is my paint, that is my current Avatar. 😊

I couldn't help myself and candled the Araucana pen already. 12 out of 12 from the cross hen are developing. I saw 9 developing and 1 super early quitter in the pures, two eggs were too dark for me to see. Very very early days but it's good to see this kind of fertility!!
I'll try my best to not candle again until day 7 but I'm manually turning, so it might be tricky not to
I candle sometimes everyday... Love seeing the eggs developing. 😊

I do love hatching time!

We're doing our first incubation without a broody and I have 12 BBS Orpingtons and 10 Golden Campines resting from their journey while I test run the new incubator.

Everybody seems to have made a safe journey; really looking forward to getting these guys started tomorrow and getting them through to their day 6 check-up!

I'll be right on the cusp of sep-oct hatch date but I figured I'd just post here! It's the 11th day for these guys. The first picture is all shipped bantam Cochin eggs. Out of the 13 set 12 are developing wonderfully! Great movement and only two have funky air cells. I'm genuinely surprised how well they're doing.
20210910_173456.jpg

The first and second row(left) are shipped Cochin eggs and the rest are from two local farms. The top right are clears and early quitters that I just haven't tossed yet.
20210921_205031.jpg

Hopefully in another 10 days or so I'll have 23 heathy babies!

I might just have a November hatch too since one of the local farms also have Ayam Cemani and Polish hatching eggs. Hopefully they'll still be laying by then!

I'll be right on the cusp of sep-oct hatch date but I figured I'd just post here! It's the 11th day for these guys. The first picture is all shipped bantam Cochin eggs. Out of the 13 set 12 are developing wonderfully! Great movement and only two have funky air cells. I'm genuinely surprised how well they're doing.
View attachment 2841847

The first and second row(left) are shipped Cochin eggs and the rest are from two local farms. The top right are clears and early quitters that I just haven't tossed yet.
View attachment 2841851

Hopefully in another 10 days or so I'll have 23 heathy babies!

I might just have a November hatch too since one of the local farms also have Ayam Cemani and Polish hatching eggs. Hopefully they'll still be laying by then!
We don't have Ayam cemanis here, but I ran into someone with a breeding project going and bought one of the breeject pullets. She is a stunning bird, especially when she's dust-bathing in the sun. Every single feather lights up with a green or purple sheen.

Back
Top Bottom