October Hatch-A-Long

I hope to have fertile eggs any day. Hope I can do a test hatch. Good luck everyone!
thumbsup.gif

Got chicks hatching in the bator as we speak, started saving 4-5 a day three days ago, plan is to reset Wednesday...... trying to hatch as many as I can before winter sets in and I cant run the incubator ( we use wood heat exclusively ) I sell whatever hatches from the incubator and keep broody chicks ;)

I put 29 of my mixed egg in my new homemade bator tonight to test it out. I have a 7 month FBCM roo and couple younger americauna roos over a mix of different hens and pullets including a buff a rir couple br and a few bsl. Was tryn to wait on my ee. Nakedneck and black tailed white to start layng but I'll try them next time.
Then my neighbor brought me 9 of his eggs to through in too.
Good luck and happy hatching

Is anyone using a Hova Bator?  The humidity is at 65% -  is that too high and how can I adjust that if it is? 

I'm using a Hovabator as well and had issues with too high humidity on my last hatch. I just removed any water from the Bator and it went down. Do you have any water in your incubator? Do you live in a place with high humidity?

Yes, I followed the directions and put the water in the well like it said. I don't think we have particularly high humidity here and we have forced hot air heating, so its usually really dry in the house. I opened the vent plug last night and now the humidity is down to 59%. I read about covering part of the troughs with tin foil to bring it down as well. I am going to try that.

Thank you for your help!

Jamie

I'm going to be joining you soon! I've got a dozen australorp eggs in the post to me now that hopefully will give me at least one of each blue, black and splash girls.

Have moved my silkie out of the nesting box into her own run and she is currently trying to hatch three infertile eggs while we wait for the good ones. She hasn't moved at all I don't think since I moved her yesterday (in fact I had to scratch her head to check she was still alive lol she is so still, and even that only made her back feathers stir slightly). I think I will put her out in the morning to make sure she eats and drinks. Hope it doesn't confuse her into wanting to go back to the original nest box instead of the new spot I've given her.

Oh and this is our first time hatching!

Last edited:
I'm trying to hatch eggs for the first time! A friend got me Serama eggs, all shipped. Sadly 4 out of 9 seem to have detached air cells. I thought it was only 1 at first, but candled a second time before setting just to be sure. Lock down will be October 1st! So far so good, can't wait to candle them on the 20th. Fingers are crossed I even get one to hatch since I hear they're delicate and difficult, and I've got a home made incubator. Next time I hatch eggs I'll def. have a manufactured 'bator, this one was a bit of a rush since the eggs were bought for me as a surprise. The birds in the pen they're from are gorgeous. Fingers crossed for a speckled baby!

Back
Top Bottom