October Hatch-A-Long

Hi :) I'd like to join for October. My first hatching eggs arrived in the mail today, they are Welsh Harlequin duck eggs. 5/7 survived without breaking but I realized when I candled them that they all have ruptured/wonky air cells. It's disappointing but I hope I can get some to hatch. They were packaged so well by their breeder they must have been handled pretty roughly by USPS :( I'll be putting them in the incubator at midnight in an egg carton and won't turn them for the first few days.

Hi, I'm on Day 3 of incubating 10 of our own eggs in a mini incubator. Due October 11. We had some eggs saved up that didn't fit in the incubator, so we are going to see of our broody Barred Rock will hatch them. I got the idea that she was broody today when she was hiding in a corner of the coop setting on 2 eggs. So I took her out and put her in a dog kennel with a bunch of hay and some food and water. She started nesting right away and when I brought her some more eggs, (7 total) she got busy tucking them into the straw with the others. I'm sooo excited!
yippiechickie.gif
So if today is day 1 for her eggs, she should hatch out around October 14. I'll get some photos up soon.

TJ

Hi, I'm on Day 3 of incubating 10 of our own eggs in a mini incubator. Due October 11. We had some eggs saved up that didn't fit in the incubator, so we are going to see of our broody Barred Rock will hatch them. I got the idea that she was broody today when she was hiding in a corner of the coop setting on 2 eggs. So I took her out and put her in a dog kennel with a bunch of hay and some food and water. She started nesting right away and when I brought her some more eggs, (7 total) she got busy tucking them into the straw with the others. I'm sooo excited!
yippiechickie.gif
So if today is day 1 for her eggs, she should hatch out around October 14. I'll get some photos up soon.

TJ

What a good broody!!

Does anyone use egg cartons for incubation? I am using shipped eggs so I think it would be best to use the egg cartons instead of laying them on their sides. How would I turn them? Some say to gently rock them back in forth...do that instead of tilting them? Would that be enough to prevent them from sticking?

I have candled it's day 7 finally!

The results are;

4 Brahama bantams seem to be developing nicely looks to be one blood ring and one I'm not sure about, going to make the final decision in a couple of days.
4 Gold lace Orpington Bantams romping away but two clears : (

So I'm pretty pleased really, if not a little disappointed with the two clears, I know thats greedy, but wish I'd ordered 12. Oh well just means I get to do it all again soon : )

I have candled it's day 7 finally!

The results are;

4 Brahama bantams seem to be developing nicely looks to be one blood ring and one I'm not sure about, going to make the final decision in a couple of days.
4 Gold lace Orpington Bantams romping away but two clears : (

So I'm pretty pleased really, if not a little disappointed with the two clears, I know thats greedy, but wish I'd ordered 12. Oh well just means I get to do it all again soon : )

That's actually very good!!! Although it would be nice to have every egg set develop I have yet to hear of any actually doing that

Today is day 6 for the 34 eggs I have in the bator, 21 are EE eggs and have been set for a customer, the other 13 are my Orpington eggs I have set for myself for spring layers... I candled about an hour ago and out of the 21 EE eggs there are 3 that looks to have developed blood rings and 5 of my Orpington eggs that look to be clear or blood rings... I was hoping for a better rate on the orpington eggs but will take what I can get.. Nothing gets removed til the 10th day candle so maybe these old eyes played a trick on me.

I ordered Silkie eggs for Sept hatch and only 2/8 are developing. So I ordered more for the October hatch. They arrived today and only 2/7 have detached air cells. They were a little cold when arrived so hopefully tha doesn't effect them. Have them sitting in the carton fat end up for a few days so the ones with detached air sacs have a chance to attach again. I hope to get 3 hatches out of this set but only time will tell :)
Time will tell!

Hi :) I'd like to join for October. My first hatching eggs arrived in the mail today, they are Welsh Harlequin duck eggs. 5/7 survived without breaking but I realized when I candled them that they all have ruptured/wonky air cells. It's disappointing but I hope I can get some to hatch. They were packaged so well by their breeder they must have been handled pretty roughly by USPS :( I'll be putting them in the incubator at midnight in an egg carton and won't turn them for the first few days.
Naughty USPS! I hope they do well!

yippiechickie.gif

TJ
WOW! Now that is a wonderful broody!

Another hen has gone broody! Today is day 2. She will be due on the 14th of October!

She went broody under our deck!

You can just see her through the crack (she is white)

I updated my egg weight charts last night and noticed something interesting. A couple of the eggs were losing weight much quicker than the others, when I checked which ones it was the clears. I wonder if the difference is down to the mass of the embryo growing in the fertile eggs but not in the clears. Humm. I have now just revealed my geekiness to the world haven't I. : )

congratulations!!! I am trying to incubate my first time also. I had chickens before and they did all the work. I know have a unique chicken and felt the need to incubate hers. She laid 8 eggs this set and they feel hallow and when I opened one it appeared to have blood. She not sitting on them today so I just got done putting them in incubator.

Back
Top Bottom