October hatch "Grow-a-long"šŸ„

Tonight I've got two of them up on the main perch -- surprisingly well-accepted by the adults.
My 2 baby cochins ventured up the spiral staircase and looked inside the coop!
I thought I'd try training them to roost with my other older cochins.
Coco and China were wondering what they were doing but were nice to em...but they hopped down so guess they aren't ready yet.
I don't want any more cuddle puddles! So I'll try again in week or so.
Im leaving the brooder doors open to the run now and they all seem to be doing well together.
The Buff Silkies are just starting to venture out of the brooder a little but they've only been down there a couple of weeks too.

And the temps were fairly warm last night but super windy so since the lil babies have been venturing out of the brooder most of the day I tried them inside the coop with the big babies!

They did amazing!!! No bullying or picking on and came down the staircase and came to me no problem! I and they too enjoyed the lullaby they got in the coop since I could more easily stand than sit in a chair and fall over LOLOL!

And the temps were fairly warm last night but super windy so since the lil babies have been venturing out of the brooder most of the day I tried them inside the coop with the big babies!

They did amazing!!! No bullying or picking on and came down the staircase and came to me no problem! I and they too enjoyed the lullaby they got in the coop since I could more easily stand than sit in a chair and fall over LOLOL!
Yay! What good babies! šŸ˜

Oliver and his buddy Butters ā€œdust bathingā€ in paper bedding šŸ˜

Attachments

• F7938EA7-A21A-46D6-91F0-F14730D19230.jpeg
    F7938EA7-A21A-46D6-91F0-F14730D19230.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Welll since you asked šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜ still need one of Oliver šŸ˜† I keep forgetting when Iā€™m over in their brooder! The Polish is Butterscotchā€”Butters for short and the Brahma still needs a name! We lost the second Polish baby though so Iā€™m waiting to make sure the Brahma is out of the woods first! Meyer Hatchery to CA is tough for fragile baby birdies :-( But Butters is getting along with Oliver great šŸ˜Š Brahma baby spends a lot of time under the brooder stillā€¦so Iā€™m not ready to celebrate yet! Sheā€™s very sweet though! šŸ˜
They are all so cute, šŸ˜
Iā€™ve always loved baby Polish!

He is beautiful!šŸ„° Do you plan to keep him?
Thank you! :) Yes, I plan to keep him unless he develops some terrible DQ traits for showing! He is recessive white so I will need two generations to get more white babies since the other baby died. :( It's really hard to find show quality d'Anvers in CA in any color but quail and blue quail and while pretty, I find it boring haha. SO my goal is to breed show quality black, white, self-blues and maybe if I'm lucky I will get my hands on barred birdies from a lady in Fresno. I also have some cute little Easter Egger bantams that look very similar to d'Anvers that I would like to try as a project for mottled d'Anvers! They are the most adorable and sweet little birds and I would love to have more babies like them. :)

Iā€™m very happy with how my chicks have been growing. I havenā€™t named a majority of the hatch, but iā€™m going to say that officially 3 have names. One pullet and two cockerels, and I got photos of the newest boy I named!
His name is Chicken Quesadilla, which is my favorite food and also what heā€™ll become if he grows up to be a disappointment.
8C2F55F8-19CB-46C1-8972-6FF00C0FEB32.jpeg

As for now, heā€™s the biggest of all the hatched chicks. One other seems almost his size, so itā€™s Chicken Quesadilla and that other cockerel iā€™m watching to see how big theyā€™ll get.
Hereā€™s some photos of him beside the others, angles may not be perfect but heā€™s a bit larger than the others(or much larger in some cases).
ED866EEE-BAC6-4E1C-8170-D0284B2ABD33.jpeg
39CE98D4-102C-479B-96DA-611537EB32C9.jpeg

Also a side note, I feel wary of having a bantam(middle of the last photo) in with these chicks, though sheā€™s been doing well. Would it be best to move her out of the cage and into a separate one, maybe with a buddy? I donā€™t want her to get stomped, but I donā€™t know if iā€™m overreacting, or if thereā€™d be enough heat for her at night without all the others. She tends to snuggle underneath the others.

Iā€™m very happy with how my chicks have been growing. I havenā€™t named a majority of the hatch, but iā€™m going to say that officially 3 have names. One pullet and two cockerels, and I got photos of the newest boy I named!
His name is Chicken Quesadilla, which is my favorite food and also what heā€™ll become if he grows up to be a disappointment.
View attachment 3351546
As for now, heā€™s the biggest of all the hatched chicks. One other seems almost his size, so itā€™s Chicken Quesadilla and that other cockerel iā€™m watching to see how big theyā€™ll get.
Hereā€™s some photos of him beside the others, angles may not be perfect but heā€™s a bit larger than the others(or much larger in some cases). View attachment 3351547View attachment 3351548
Also a side note, I feel wary of having a bantam(middle of the last photo) in with these chicks, though sheā€™s been doing well. Would it be best to move her out of the cage and into a separate one, maybe with a buddy? I donā€™t want her to get stomped, but I donā€™t know if iā€™m overreacting, or if thereā€™d be enough heat for her at night without all the others. She tends to snuggle underneath the others.
What a huge size difference!
As long as they are all getting along and she does not appear to be picked on, then it should be fine to leave her with them.
Keep a close eye, things can change quickly.šŸ™‚

Back
Top Bottom