October hatch "Grow-a-long"šŸ„

I just came up with a solution to what Iā€™m going to do with this last batch of chicks, since I havenā€™t sold any yet.
I need to get them out of the house and thereā€™s really not much space in the outdoor brooder right now with the mob. I can make it work, but it will be a bit crowded especially as they get bigger. I have two older birds in my tractor right now which Iā€™m trying to sell. If I get the birds sold that will free up that space.
Himawari just went broody so I think it might not be too late to try to give them to her. I have a sectioned off space of the coop I use for integration. They could be in there at least temporarily. Do you think giving her all 11 would be too many? She did a great job with Kai, who is now rather dejected that her mama just wants to sit on the nest box all day!šŸ¤£View attachment 3307242View attachment 3307240
Silkies are great moms, I think it would be fine :)

I just came up with a solution to what Iā€™m going to do with this last batch of chicks, since I havenā€™t sold any yet.
I need to get them out of the house and thereā€™s really not much space in the outdoor brooder right now with the mob. I can make it work, but it will be a bit crowded especially as they get bigger. I have two older birds in my tractor right now which Iā€™m trying to sell. If I get the birds sold that will free up that space.
Himawari just went broody so I think it might not be too late to try to give them to her. I have a sectioned off space of the coop I use for integration. They could be in there at least temporarily. Do you think giving her all 11 would be too many? She did a great job with Kai, who is now rather dejected that her mama just wants to sit on the nest box all day!šŸ¤£View attachment 3307242View attachment 3307240
I think thatā€™s a great idea! I gave Fuzzy 6 Polish chicks, 2 dā€™Uccles, and 3 ODs all at once as a first time momma and she did super! šŸ˜

I think thatā€™s a great idea! I gave Fuzzy 6 Polish chicks, 2 dā€™Uccles, and 3 ODs all at once as a first time momma and she did super! šŸ˜
Iā€™m going to give it a try, I donā€™t have much time before it gets dark here. My only concern is that chicks may not attach to her because they are already 6 days old, but we will see!šŸ˜Š

Do you have another Silkie hen that is good at raising chicks? Maybe you could have her raising the chicks as well?
No, Himawari is the only one that Iā€™ve had raise a chick so far. Iā€™ve been breeding Silkies for a couple years now but I always hatch them in the incubator so that they can be vaccinated against Marekā€™s disease and then off to their new owners by the time they are a week old.šŸ˜Š

No, Himawari is the only one that Iā€™ve had raise a chick so far. Iā€™ve been breeding Silkies for a couple years now but I always hatch them in the incubator so that they can be vaccinated against Marekā€™s disease and then off to their new owners by the time they are a week old.šŸ˜Š
Then I guess you'd have to go with Himawari raising them. Unless you find another way.
Hoping she accepts the chicks! :D

Awe! Luv em!
20221030_153206.jpg
20221030_004721.jpg

Here's two of 'emšŸ˜Š

Back
Top Bottom