October hatch "Grow-a-long"🐥

Pics
Awww gorgeous

My flock of silkies hatched on the 21st Oct and now I’m playing guess their sex for their 7th week birthday.
I am fairly certain the grey one with large comb is a roo- he’s been doing some silent crows 🙀
What do you guys think?
The grey one with the comb is called Nori, the other grey one is called Tahi (Māori for One as it was first to crack), the white one is called Lavender and the lavender/white one is called Sage
It looks like Nori and Lavender are cockerels and Sage and Tahi are females 😊
Welcome to the thread!
Agree that you have two of each currently.😊
The two young cockerels are early maturing in my opinion for Silkies. The other two could still be male as Silkies can change from looking female to looking obviously male in a number of weeks. Usually between 12 and 15 weeks of age is when you may see this change.
Beautiful birds.😍

Great photos! Looks like integration went very smoothly.😊

I was fortunate to get excellent advice for my first integration and have, so far, had smooth transitions.

Someone who I won't tag and drag into this thread has speculated that since he integrates chicks frequently his flock is accustomed to newcomers arriving and don't get as freaked out as birds who have never seen chicks might.

I was fortunate to get excellent advice for my first integration and have, so far, had smooth transitions.

Someone who I won't tag and drag into this thread has speculated that since he integrates chicks frequently his flock is accustomed to newcomers arriving and don't get as freaked out as birds who have never seen chicks might.
I’ve been exposing my Aussie girls to their future flock mates daily when I am home though they don’t officially live together yet. Probably in the next week or two!😊

I have the Aussies in the big girls coop while the big girls are out “free ranging” to start getting them used to their new digs.
A8409B9F-6278-4263-A44D-BE5DE4851BD6.jpeg
55EC8568-542B-4575-AFE1-9BEF3B767C98.jpeg

So is Zinnia now a Zinfandel? Comb started pinking up a little bit here week 5, while Camellia and Dahlia have small grayish black combs. None have any wattle development to speak of though. Guess I’ll have to wait a few weeks to see! 90% vent sexing accuracy still leaves 10% that are boys after all.

FBBA0D2D-6D29-40BC-8592-A4EB08BEF7B9.jpeg
599E1A82-6D25-414E-B0BB-8C81F9D4115D.jpeg
449B4432-AF9D-4E8C-B0FA-5209DA8C7367.jpeg
CE3C9250-5AA9-4D57-A3F0-E96BB2A534A5.jpeg

I am really enjoying these 3 and I am spending a lot of my free time with them. I want them to be “Frankie” friendly. So far Camellia is the friendliest and likes to sit on my lap for a bit.😊
She will fly up to my arm much like Frankie did when I call her.
9E7CDD82-66FB-430F-A256-124985472D18.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the Aussies in the big girls coop while the big girls are out “free ranging” to start getting them used to their new digs.
View attachment 3342677View attachment 3342678

So is Zinnia now a Zinfandel? Comb started pinking up a little bit here week 5, while Camellia and Dahlia have small grayish black combs. None have any wattle development to speak of though. Guess I’ll have to wait a few weeks to see! 90% vent sexing accuracy still leaves 10% that are boys after all.

View attachment 3342679View attachment 3342680View attachment 3342681View attachment 3342683

I am really enjoying these 3 and I am spending a lot of my free time with them. I want them to be “Frankie” friendly. So far Camellia is the friendliest and likes to sit on my lap for a bit.😊
She will fly up to my arm much like Frankie did when I call her.View attachment 3342682

Yeah, that comb looks pretty male.

My Australorp boys have been laid-back and easy-going.

Almost every one of my chicks have feathered out completely at this point, except for 2. The bantam and this little guy below. Funnily, all he’s missing to be a normal, feathered-out bird, is his head feathers and tail feathers.

He has a nub for a tail at this point in time 😂I actually checked and his tail is as long as my thumb(distal phalanx to IP joint). His wings extend farther than his tail right now.

He’s still pretty though. Slightly feisty.
87A9646D-669A-4A74-932D-2E014772E08B.jpeg
CDD258E8-98B7-4FD1-9E22-CD570EC5C467.jpeg
A67D6E2A-F321-4059-9103-303E17395545.jpeg

I need to post a picture of my lonely d’Anver baby but keep forgetting! It’s very clearly a boy so I’m a bit bummed about that but oh well! Now I’ll have 5 boys and two pullets—NOT good ratios. Guess I need more? 🤣🤷🏼‍♀️ He’s not lonely anymore either—I bought a couple buff laced polish and a buff Brahma bantam to give him friends. They’re tiny and adorable! 🤗

Back
Top Bottom