Odd and random deaths in layer pen....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Missouri chick, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    I need all your help and advise. My layer pen is an older flock, so when 1 became weak and died it wasn't much of a surprise. Then another and now 1 more is behaving odd. All three birds have gone down with in a week and a half. The only symptoms seem to be lethargy and weakness. They spend about a day sitting in one place, standing with tail tucked, then become to weak to walk before dying. If taken to the drinkers and feeders they will eat and drink. They don't feel like there is any weight loss. One bird here and there is understandable, but one rooster and two hens in such a short space of time is weird. I've not seen any odd poo's, eggs are still being laid, they are on 16percent layer pellets. Can you think of anything else to check for??? Thanks in advance!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I had a similar problem last winter. I didn't even notice that some had a respiratory illness, until I lost one hen, and then noticed my rooster was lethargic...just sitting there.....Gave them tylan and all is well. Sometimes these things just sneak up on you.......

Good luck,
    Sharon

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Can you tell us a little more about their age? Do you worm and check for lice and mites? Is there any sign of a respiratory illness, such as matter in the eyes, sneezing, sounding congested, etc.?

I wouldn't give mine an antibiotic without knowing it was the correct one for their problem.

4. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Quote:They are all over 2yrs, which is why 1 death didn't upset me too much at first. I can't find any signs of respiratory at all and there aren't any external parasites. They are due for deworming, but I was a vet tech for many years. Normally intestinal parisites cause other symptoms(diarrhea, not eating, weight loss)...or is it different in chickens? I agree with you, I didn't want to give antibiotics with out knowing what to treat.

5. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    also this is an established flock, no newbies. They are several different breeds in there. 2 of which went broody for the first time. However these aren't the sick birds--so far. There is a polish roo, the blr wyandotte died. Had the roos just to keep order and protect the girls when out of the coop to peck around the yard. My polish mix hen died a few days ago, one of my buff brahmas is sick now. All of the birds get along great, no signs of injuries. I'm baffled!

6. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I can't help, but have a question that may also relate to my situation: Is 2+yrs "elderly", like weakened imune responce/dieing of old age territory? i have a sick hen and no responce to my thread yet. My gal is at least 2, maybe 3 yrs, but I read about many birds, only marginally better kept, living to 6+ yrs.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  7. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  8. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Niss, after 2 yrs of age the hens laying ability slacks off. I've heard others say that that's the age that they start loosing hens. However I have a couple leghorns 3+ still laying and going strong.

Thanks, ddawn. I thought of that also, but I had a rooster to die first. I caught the "sick" hen at the drinker and feeder today. Still standing with tail tucked....kinda like a person with slumped shoulders when they don't feel well. Her color is still good right now though. ???? I don't know what to think.

9. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

has it been really hot where you are?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by