Odd Chick Death, Ideas?

Mosey2003

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 13, 2016
North-Central IL
I have a playpen full of show line Barred Rock chicks. 16 of them, about 4 weeks old, with a couple that are a week or so older. Noticeably a bit bigger. They've been fine and dandy all this time, but yesterday I came home to one of the biggest pullets dead on the floor. Can they really be trampled to death at this age? I've never lost one this old. Anything that would just randomly kill a seemingly healthy chick? They're all vaccinated for Marek's, so it couldn't be that. On medicated feed the whole time, so shouldn't be Cocci either. I'm a little stumped, beyond just a fluke internal malformation of some sort.

I have a playpen full of show line Barred Rock chicks. 16 of them, about 4 weeks old, with a couple that are a week or so older. Noticeably a bit bigger. They've been fine and dandy all this time, but yesterday I came home to one of the biggest pullets dead on the floor. Can they really be trampled to death at this age? I've never lost one this old. Anything that would just randomly kill a seemingly healthy chick? They're all vaccinated for Marek's, so it couldn't be that. On medicated feed the whole time, so shouldn't be Cocci either. I'm a little stumped, beyond just a fluke internal malformation of some sort.
Feeding medicated feed does not necessarily prevent coccidiosis nor will it cure it if it does get out of hand.

What size if this playpen?
Month old chicks need LOTS of room.
Can you post a picture of your set up?

It's a pack and play, and they're still quite small, they have room to run around. They're pretty slow-growing since they get so big. I know medicated feed isn't 100%, but I'm surprised one would die after this long with no previous symptoms and no bloody stool...

It's a pack and play, and they're still quite small, they have room to run around. They're pretty slow-growing since they get so big. I know medicated feed isn't 100%, but I'm surprised one would die after this long with no previous symptoms and no bloody stool...
If they are running around they probably don't have it. (eta: Coccidiosis)
I was just saying....

16 in a few square feet (it can't be more then 6 or so sq ft huh?)
is TOO small.

Do you have a coop big enough built for them yet?

Last edited:
If you are worried about disease, send the body off to have a necropsy done. As mentioned above make sure your chicks have plenty of room and places to escape an aggressive bird. I try to avoid corners when housing chicks as one may just end up getting squashed. Cardboard corrals or a modified or puppy pens in the shape of circle work great. And you can't rule out a cardiac event due to genetics. I find that birds (and other animals) bred for show have a tendency to not be quite as long-lived as their muttly cousins.

Sorry you lost your chick in such a manner.

They're set to go out in the big brooder in the barn soon. Honestly, I don't remember exactly when they're hatched. They're out of new-chick-dom but not very big yet.

I hadn't considered a cardiac event, interesting possibility...

They're not just show bred, they're actually Frank Reese birds that the guy selectively breeds and shows, so they should be of good heritage stock.

I don't have any pictures at the moment, been busy with work lately.

I'd say it's about 4 feet by 3 feet, so 12 square feet overall. They're not jammed together or anything.
I believe that is just too small for that many.

Back
Top Bottom