Odd egg layed ? Cause

1Nanny

Hatching
Nov 5, 2020
754C3929-3A6E-4E12-B6FF-18A852C1160C.jpeg
this is a recent egg layed by one of my chickens
Other eggs layed has had a soft end not completely formed . Im looking at what the cause could be and what to do for her

View attachment 2465471this is a recent egg layed by one of my chickens
Other eggs layed has had a soft end not completely formed . Im looking at what the cause could be and what to do for her
Im using a complete chicken scratch mix it contains shell
Can you get a photo of your feed bag?
Is it a chicken scratch or chicken (layer) pellet?

I would make sure they are getting a nutritionally complete poultry feed like a Layer Feed or an all flock feed. Provide oyster shell free choice.
"Scratch" is generally not a complete balanced diet. For confined birds, scratch is commonly used as a treat.

The egg has a "tail", it's explained in the link below.
http://www.yellowbirchhobbyfarm.com/weird-eggs-101-the-oddities-explained/

Can you get a photo of your feed bag?
Is it a chicken scratch or chicken (layer) pellet?

I would make sure they are getting a nutritionally complete poultry feed like a Layer Feed or an all flock feed. Provide oyster shell free choice.
"Scratch" is generally not a complete balanced diet. For confined birds, scratch is commonly used as a treat.

The egg has a "tail", it's explained in the link below.
http://www.yellowbirchhobbyfarm.com/weird-eggs-101-the-oddities-explained/
F77A0F5F-DD58-4443-91EB-D8B48819A3AF.jpeg
33F2704F-76E0-4FD8-9EFD-F8194CE89C12.jpeg
23D30B8E-AD06-4417-B76D-68958B9EAB81.jpeg
The first one is alternated with the second when not available i prefer the second

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but that first bag of "Scratch Mix" isn't meant for everyday feeding, and only meant as a snack. It's like a bag of party mix, where everyone gets to pick out their favorite cheetos and leave behind the silly cornchips and pretzels, whereas the second bag is an actual pellets ration that includes everything in a one bite form, like scientifically balanced dog kibble.

Chickens, just like children, will fill up on their favorites and ignore the healthy stuff if given a chance.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but that first bag of "Scratch Mix" isn't meant for everyday feeding, and only meant as a snack. It's like a bag of party mix, where everyone gets to pick out their favorite cheetos and leave behind the silly cornchips and pretzels, whereas the second bag is an actual pellets ration that includes everything in a one bite form, like scientifically balanced dog kibble.

Chickens, just like children, will fill up on their favorites and ignore the healthy stuff if given a chance.
I believe you’re correct. From what i’ve heard from my personal vet and other chicken keepers is that scratch should never be a part of their daily nutritional intake. they shouldn’t be consuming more than 10% of their daily food intake in scratch. i feed mine a little more scratch than usual in the winter, right before bedtime to help them stay warm in the coop. but even a pellet specifically made for laying hens sometimes doesn’t have enough calcium. offer them oyster shell. they know when they need it! mine especially LOVE their old egg shells. i save them from when i eat their eggs and feed it back to them as smaller pieces. you would think i’m throwing candy to them. it’s crazy!

View attachment 2465986View attachment 2465988View attachment 2465990The first one is alternated with the second when not available i prefer the second

There’s no calcium at all in that layer mix- that’s probably a cause of your problem. I can’t see the back of the scratch bag, but there typically isn’t shell in scratch, so i’m led to believe that if shell was added that it would be listed as a special ingredient on the front for advertising. Oyster shell isn’t too expensive and they’ll eat just what they need!!

View attachment 2465986View attachment 2465988View attachment 2465990The first one is alternated with the second when not available i prefer the second
Thank you for the photos.
I understand sometimes it's hard to source feed, but if you can provide the layer feed free choice during waking hours that would be the best thing to do.
Try to find some oyster shell and make it available free choice as well. This will help supplement calcium.
The scratch is o.k. to give, but I would use it as a treat instead of a complete feed. From what I can find from the manufacturer it's around 12% protein so it's a bit shy on that. Your layer is 18% protein which is good.

I think with them eating mostly layer feed and by providing oyster shell, you will start to see shell quality improvement.

Back
Top Bottom