Odd Hen Behavior - Is This Normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

josephdad

Songster
Feb 17, 2021
Guys, help! I don't know if this is possible but I'm pretty sure two of my hens are attracted to each other. Is this normal or is this something that I should get looked at by a vet? It could be that I'm just overthinking it but if this is possible, how can I get them back to normal so I can continue selling eggs? I need help because I'm losing a lot of business from this.

I'm a very open-minded person but I don't think (this is completely aside from whatever your beliefs are in the human world) that chickens, or any animal for that matter, can be "LGBTQ" and they certainly do not have a "Community". Animals, especially birds, do not have complex cognitive ability like humans and rely on instinct and innate behaviors.

So if you're not just being silly/funny- you may want to try and diagnose what may actually be going on with your birds. However, based on your comments of "I'm losing money", etc. I'm going to guess you are more looking for attention/joking than actually giving a care about your chickens and as I write this I am not sure why I am even replying... but I am now this far in so be it.

Hens will always try to establish the pecking order however they see fit. So if your hens are mounting each other, they're just laying down the law. Likewise, if they are clustering together it is usually for protection as chickens have a flock animal mentality (AKA if there are a bunch of us and a predator comes, at least some of us will get away in the frenzy). If they're not laying and just "hanging out with each other" then perhaps they have passed their best laying time in their life (usually up to 3-4 years).

But again, your comment/title- which is likely offensive to actual LGBTQ people because you are comparing them to chickens, and likely offensive to non-LGBTQ people because likewise, you are comparing them to chickens- leaves much to be desired.

Guys, help! I don't know if this is possible but I'm pretty sure two of my hens are attracted to each other. Is this normal or is this something that I should get looked at by a vet? It could be that I'm just overthinking it but if this is possible, how can I get them back to normal so I can continue selling eggs? I need help because I'm losing a lot of business from this.
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense whatsoever.
What are you seeing? Post a video or some photos of behavior and birds.

If you have a hen that is mounting another, usually it's dominance. What does this have to do with selling eggs? How does this affect/cause you to lose business?
Has your egg production decreased since this behavior began?

We've received a flood of reports on this thread and have closed it while our team reviews and takes action (removing posts, warning people that are breaking our rules, etc.) where needed.

While this thread is locked, it will give everyone an opportunity to read this:

We need peeps to do 2 things for us to keep it open:
  1. Try to have thick-skins. If you don't like something, try your best to just move past it.
  2. Only post things that are helpful, friendly, and appropriate. If you break our rules, you may get blocked from this thread, or even blocked from accessing BYC.

A Reminder Of Our Rules:

We require all our members to remain civil, friendly, and respectful in ALL their public interactions. If we notice you are breaking this rule (to which you agreed when signing up for BYC), we'll need to issue a warning and even potentially remove your access to our community.

Also, a reminder on best-practices:
  1. Again, if you see something that bothers you, try to have a thick skin and move past it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  2. If a post breaks our rules, report it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  3. Be friendly and supportive. Avoid posts, etc., that will cause contention. Our team will determine, at our discretion, what we feel is and isn't appropriate, so it's best to err on the side of caution and stay away from anything that might be interpreted as contentious, trolling, or otherwise breaking our rules.
Our AMAZING team is putting in a LOT of time and effort to keep things running smoothly. Please help make their jobs easier! (because at some point, the amount of work to keep this open won't be worth the time / stress to our incredible moderators).

Thanks again to all those that follow our rules and play nice!

Chickens don’t feel romantic attraction in the way humans do. Saying your hens are attracted to each other does sound cute, but I highly doubt this is the case. If by this you are referring to the fact that they mount each other in the way rosters do, this isn’t sexual or “romantic” behavior. Simply, it’s a way of showing dominance. I don’t know how this would slow egg production though, so we need clarification by exactly what you mean with this statement.

It's not only that they are mounting each other but it's that both of them won't do anything with the roosters. When one lays an egg, it'll hide it somewhere so only both of them knows where it is. They hide it from the roosters. obviously, I move them so that the roosters can fertilize them but it's still a problem.
Roosters can't fertilize an already layed egg. They mount the hens therefore creating fertile eggs to be layed..hope this makes sense.

This thread had been cleaned up.
ALL off topic, trolling, sarcastic remarks, insults etc have been deleted.

If you do not have something constructive to add please move on.

A link to the BYC rules for anyone wanting/needing to read them again.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/help/terms/

Thank you,

21hens-incharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom