Odd leg shuffle-- new little dance-- why?

marisaalexandra

Chirping
7 Years
May 13, 2012
NorthernValley, NJ
Hi,
My daughters and I have noticed that our Rhode Island Red and our Leghorn hens, twenty-one weeks and new layers both, have started doing this funny thing when we move to pick them up. They lift their wings slightly at the shoulders, crouch toward the ground, and do a weird little churning shuffle (in place!) with their legs. It's really funny and they've only done it in the past two weeks, since (coincidentally?) we offloaded our last rooster.

Anyone know what I mean??

They see you as roos. Since you are the only roos left you are suddenly at the top of the pecking order. When you approach them they assume it is to mate and they are submitting to be mounted. When you set them back down on the ground do they shake their feathers out then walk off?

Last edited:
They see you as roos. Since you are the only roos left you are suddenly at the top of the pecking order. When you approach them they assume it is to mate and they are submitting to be mounted. When you set them back down on the ground do they shake their feathers out then walk off?

Yes! Yes! Like kicking the dust from their proverbial sandals, they shake themselves off and walk away. How funny. I sort of suspected that it was part of the submission thing, since it looks a little like how they would respond to the roos, but I wasn't positive. Thank you!! How did you ever figure this out?? Just curious...

Yep, this is the same reaction they have to a rooster, after they have matured. It's funny to watch them shake afterwards--as if they are insulted!

Back
Top Bottom