odd number of eggs to hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tobit, Sep 21, 2014.

1. tobit

tobit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    hi guys i was reading a chicken book this morning, and it said that it is better to let a hen hatch an odd number of eggs as it makes it easier/better for her to turn them?? does anyone know about this, i am very curious as i cannot think of a sensible explanation! :D

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Chickens can count so I don't think it matters.

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I never heard that theory before.[​IMG]

4. tobit

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    yes exactly! yeah neither had i, just wondering if anyone knew anything about it as its bugging me[​IMG]

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Well, I usually give my hens an even number of eggs. I shoot for a dozen of they can cover them all. They do just fine. I think as long as there aren't too many for them to handle, they're happy with what they get :)

6. tobit

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    yes an even number makes more sense in my head (not really sure why) - for my garden size 6 is a manageable size [​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've never heard that. I usually give my birds an odd number of eggs, but not for that reason. For me, it's something like this..." my bantam hen can easily brood 6 large fowl eggs/chicks, but just in case something happens I'll give her 7 to start with"......it's a chicken math thing [​IMG]

8. tobit

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    ah yes i do think of the compensating idea, i think if i give my bantam 6, and all 6 hatch i'll cope space wise, but if not all of them hatch ill be fine too - just to keep on the safe side i guess[​IMG]

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I think they prefer even numbers, to balance between their wings. If odd number, they would keep rolling one back and forth?[​IMG]

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Quote:
    It is better to turn your eggs an odd number of times each day to be sure that every fertilized fetus is not returned to its original position in the egg and become stuck to the membrane. Also because each fetus orients itself to both light and gravity turning an odd number of times while the egg is in storage or in the incubator can help hatching success. IMHO anything about hens or chickens counting or knowing what an odd or even number represents is complete and total hokum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by