odd number of eggs to hatch??

tobit

Songster
6 Years
Jan 1, 2014
UK
hi guys i was reading a chicken book this morning, and it said that it is better to let a hen hatch an odd number of eggs as it makes it easier/better for her to turn them?? does anyone know about this, i am very curious as i cannot think of a sensible explanation! :D

I never heard that theory before.
hmm.png

yes exactly! yeah neither had i, just wondering if anyone knew anything about it as its bugging me
lau.gif

Well, I usually give my hens an even number of eggs. I shoot for a dozen of they can cover them all. They do just fine. I think as long as there aren't too many for them to handle, they're happy with what they get :)

yes an even number makes more sense in my head (not really sure why) - for my garden size 6 is a manageable size
thumbsup.gif

I've never heard that. I usually give my birds an odd number of eggs, but not for that reason. For me, it's something like this..." my bantam hen can easily brood 6 large fowl eggs/chicks, but just in case something happens I'll give her 7 to start with"......it's a chicken math thing
wink.png

ah yes i do think of the compensating idea, i think if i give my bantam 6, and all 6 hatch i'll cope space wise, but if not all of them hatch ill be fine too - just to keep on the safe side i guess
gig.gif

I think they prefer even numbers, to balance between their wings. If odd number, they would keep rolling one back and forth?
big_smile.png

Quote:
hi guys i was reading a chicken book this morning, and it said that it is better to let a hen hatch an odd number of eggs as it makes it easier/better for her to turn them?? does anyone know about this, i am very curious as i cannot think of a sensible explanation! :D
It is better to turn your eggs an odd number of times each day to be sure that every fertilized fetus is not returned to its original position in the egg and become stuck to the membrane. Also because each fetus orients itself to both light and gravity turning an odd number of times while the egg is in storage or in the incubator can help hatching success. IMHO anything about hens or chickens counting or knowing what an odd or even number represents is complete and total hokum.

Back
Top Bottom