Odd young bantam hen with severe scratching issue/fit ?

This is one time I would suggest using ivermectin pour-on
To use on the middle base of the neck on the skin to treat for any possible type of mite. I will check on dosage. Although it may be neurological in nature, sort of a seizure, I would put a drop of olive or mineral oil into her ear canals, and massage. An alternative would be to use plain neosporin ointmetnon a Qtip carefully.

Mareks comes to mind. With her feathered legs, it would be difficult to tell if she has a leg bone deformitiy or a slipped tendon that is causing the limp.

Ivermectin pour-on dosage in this thread says to use 0.045 ml per pound of weight, so a 2 pound birds would get 0.09 ml, just under 1/10 th of an ml. Repeat in 10 days.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ivermectin-dosage-for-chickens.1154592/

Last edited:
The peroxide is how Dawg53 advises to flush or clean out the ears, but I was thinking that oil would be good to kill or smother any mite in their.

I do want to point out that my recommendation for the ivomec is to treat mites or lice, but I would not use both that and permethrin. Just use one or the other. Permethrin is used on areas where the mites are seen, whereas ivomec is just a spot-on used on skin on back of the neck where it is absorbed into the blood.

I agree, I would treat with Ivermectin as well.
Look in the ears for infection and inside the beak for any obstruction, canker, lesions, stuck feed or even a string. It's really hard to tell, but she is seems to be focusing on her ear/face. Would be good to look at the eye as well just to make sure nothing is in the eye.

Marek's does come to mind too, so that's a possibility, but ruling out others things is in order.

Any type of ivermectin can be used to treat lice and mites. I have used it topically, orally, and by injection.

In the US we have:
Pour on for cattle (topically only) - The dose listed above by @Eggcessive is correct.
Injectable for cattle (Can be given by injection, orally)
Oral drench for sheep (oral only)
Horse paste (oral only)

Doses are for the other three are different. If anyone wants to know what they are let me know and I will update this post.

Any type of ivermectin can be used to treat lice and mites. I have used it topically, orally, and by injection.

In the US we have:
Pour on for cattle (topically only) - The dose listed above by @Eggcessive is correct.
Oral drench for sheep (oral only)
Horse paste (oral only)

Doses are for the other three are different. If anyone wants to know what they are let me know and I will update this post.

I would like to know dosage for the injectable to be given orally please @casportpony ?

Hi All - thank you all for your input. I would like to say that my little hen seems on the road to recovery. Whilst searching these forums I also found reference to Mareks and given that she lost the use of both legs splayed out in front, unable to balance etc etc we did all the vits minerals kept her inside and then chose the aspirin route in addition to permethrin for possible mites/lice. We tried many things over the last 6 weeks but here we are and she is back out with the flock during the day doing everything normally. She is a little underweight still which is a bit concerning as she is much smaller than her hatch buddies but she was also the last to hatch out these 4. Anyway here is a video of her now, she is the one on the right (most of the time )of the young rooster.

Back
Top Bottom