Oddest place you found an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bzbrown, Oct 5, 2011.

1. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Just curious. I found my 3rd egg today. It was located above the tilapia tank in the planter box (no soil just clay and water) where they had just the day before decided to eat all my fresh seedlings we just started. (We're trying aquaponics out). I saw it today and couldn't help but giggle. These girls must be really caught off guard with this new change to their daily routines lol...

I'd love to hear all the funny places others have found eggs.

2. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Funny story. You just never know what the girls are up to, eh? Wouldn't you like to have seen how
    it happens?

I found an egg sitting in the middle of the chicken yard. Just sitting away from everything. Very strange.

3. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I sat outside watching them all day yesterday hoping to see whom is laying and to catch them in the act since they have not caught on to the nest box idea. And of course today when I had errands to run, I come home to find that... silly girls.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  4. kayjan

kayjan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Southeast Louisana
    One of our hens was laying an egg under the table saw on the back porch. She has since moved to a folded up baby stroller on the front porch. I guess she is tired of waiting in line for the one (out of four) nest box they all use. [​IMG]

5. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I don't know if this is "Odd" but my hens have several places where they lay and as I was collecting eggs I heard a "crunch", one had laid one on the floor in front of the door! Silly girl.

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I have had one of my hens lay an egg right in the door way of the chicken-pop-door. It was one of her first eggs, she must not have known it was coming! [​IMG]

7. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    For the past two days a chicken has been laying an egg in the floorboard of my Honda Big Red UTV. I guess it thinks it is leaving me a present. [​IMG]

8. six_eclectic_chickens

six_eclectic_chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Inside an empty hanging basket in a gardening cabinet.

9. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    One of my pullets last year escaped the coop into the adjoining shed and layed her first egg right on top of the grill!

10. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:Hahaha! Maybe she wanted a fried egg?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by