Ode to Old Hens... Pictures of the Seniors in Our Flock

Pics
Amanda, my oldest hen, who has not walked in 4 years, at least (advancing arthritis has left her crippled, without the use of one leg and now, the other is not cooperative, either). We call her Amanda The Wonder Hen because of this, her 3rd egg in two weeks. She is the daughter of McMurray Hatchery parents. Shell quality is great as long
as we put oyster shell in her food since she cannot go get it herself. She turned 12 in March.
DSC04292.JPG

Another old girl has left us, though not as ancient as a few others we have. Maretta was 8 years old in April, a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana x EE hen. We discovered an issue (not reproductive) back in March and under the guidance of a veterinarian friend of mine, tried everything we knew, but sadly, there is no cure for what we believe was a cancer of some sort. She raised several batches of chicks throughout her life, the latest just last year. RIP, beautiful sweet girl.
DSCN6453.JPG

DSCN1419.JPG

Another old girl has left us, though not as ancient as a few others we have. Maretta was 8 years old in April, a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana x EE hen. We discovered an issue (not reproductive) back in March and under the guidance of a veterinarian friend of mine, tried everything we knew, but sadly, there is no cure for what we believe was a cancer of some sort. She raised several batches of chicks throughout her life, the latest just last year. RIP, beautiful sweet girl. View attachment 1781367
View attachment 1781371
So sorry for your loss. :hugs

So sorry for your loss. :hugs
Thanks, Trish. Maretta was a really sweet and smart hen, will miss her a lot. I'll never miss anyone as much as Gypsy, who passed very recently as well. We have 30 hens now and 5 are 10+ years old. A total of 19 of the 30 are 5+ years old. So, we're still running an Old Hens' Retirement Home & Hospice and will be for some time, I guess.

So sorry for your losses, :hit so glad to hear we are not the only ones who keep their hens, even after they are past laying. Your hens are getting the best life a hen could want, they are very lucky to have such a loving home. :hugs

Thanks, ladies. She was just a sweet, smart and funny little hen. She never caused one moment of trouble her entire life. I wish her end had been different, but it is what it is. She lived longer than a lot of hens do and wasn't crippled with arthritis like Amanda, Snow, Panda and Neela are. Such a great girl she was. She came out of hatching eggs sent to me by halo (Kathy) in Florida, if you remember her from around here. So did my Blue/Black/Splash Rocks.

Back
Top Bottom