1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OEG bantam roo is eating feathers...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by susanah, May 21, 2011.

1. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    He is between 6 and 7 weeks old now. I've seen him eat several small ones off the ground...and he's tried to eat some larger ones and failed.
    But I don't think he's picking at the others. They are pretty much only getting their medicated starter feed and some free range time.
    But I also noticed he doesn't seem to eat as much from the feeder as the other 2 chicks (which I think are hens). Is this normal?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think all chickens eat feathers now and then -- I've certainly seen many of mine do it. I've never seen any of them pull feathers out of the others. They just eat some of what is lying around, especially if they are small feathers.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

When he starts pecking/pulling them right off of his buddies, then you have problems.

4. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Still,you should give him some crushed oyster shell.The calcium helps stop them from doing it. I have seen them go from picking feathers from the ground to picking from others...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by