rooster not eating?

Simba246

Hatching
Oct 20, 2023
Hi around 6 days ago my rooster witnessed a cat come into our garden and kill his baby chicks that my hen had hatched by herself.

my rooster is 5 years old he is a partridge silkie bantam.
I have been keeping chickens for 7 years and have never experienced anything like this before.

I left him in the coop with the other hens as I didn't want him to feel isolated he is not eating or drinking my himself and I have been giving his water etc with cider vinegar to try ad move anything blocking anything by feeding him water through a syringe . But he has only managed to eat a few blueberries I fed him, however I can still feel one in his crop. His poop is a green and moist and I am very worried about him as I have never seen a chicken behave this way before. I'm thinking I should possibly give him some CBD oil encase he's in pain.

Is he in shock? Does he have an impacted crop?

Any suggestions on how I can help him feel better?

What's his diet? Any mucus, sneezing, stumbling? what does his crop feel like?
Don't give give cbd or acv until you figure out what it is.
His main diet consists of layers pellets, some veg scraps, bugs, grass seeds.

No mucus well I haven't seen any so far. he moves a little bit he does seem to be walking okay, his crop feels pretty much empty now.

i have just given him some water with some cider vinegar and a drop of vitamin/electrolyte boost.

any more suggestions on what I can do for him?

His main diet consists of layers pellets, some veg scraps, bugs, grass seeds.

No mucus well I haven't seen any so far. he moves a little bit he does seem to be walking okay, his crop feels pretty much empty now.

i have just given him some water with some cider vinegar and a drop of vitamin/electrolyte boost.

any more suggestions on what I can do for him?
Is he holding his head funny? Can he see past his fluff? If he's always eaten layer feed, it could be kidney issues, though that might be grasping at straws.

he was holding his head funny a few days ago but he seems to be holding it normal now, the food that was in his crop as emptied and hes digested it. He still isnt crowing yet but im sure he will soon.

His comb and wattles all look a normal colour.

do you know any ways that i could get him to eat on his own like what would u suggest?

he was holding his head funny a few days ago but he seems to be holding it normal now, the food that was in his crop as emptied and hes digested it. He still isnt crowing yet but im sure he will soon.

His comb and wattles all look a normal colour.

do you know any ways that i could get him to eat on his own like what would u suggest?
Hardboiled egg yolk can be given, you can also make a mash out of the feed and warm it to see if he'll eat that. Tuna
I'd also start him on some vitamins. 400.i.u vitamin E and a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks, any brand from the grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom