Of course they hate the pellets...Why wouldn't they...grr

mamabahre

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
So just reassure me that my genius chickens won't starve themselves right? They HATE the pellets I bought instead of crumble. They scratched ALL the bedding away from their feeder looking for more crumble and I don't think they have touched the pellets, although they've been out all day free ranging too.

They are very unimpressed with the pellets and while I appreciate their discerning taste I have repeatedly reminded them that they are, in fact, chickens so shut up and eat your food chickens!
They still aren't listening to me...They never do...
lol.png

So they won't starve themselves right? They will start eating the pellets right? They aren't so stupid to just not eat....right?
Obviously somewhere chickens are eating pellets if they keep selling the darn things.

Oh, ETA I bought Blue Seal and the tag says only 15% protein, they are still on grower and I am thinking this is TOO low for them...I didn't notice until after I bought it but they are ranging a lot so getting a good bug supplementation at least until this bag is gone and I go back to the better stuff that they were out of when I went to get it.

Last edited:
Did you mix it with the crumbles before you switched them. That way they can gradually get used to it. I started the pellets while I still had a couple of scoops of crumbles left and mixed it and they just kept eating through the switch. I used Purina Layena pellets and they were on the Flock Raiser before that, but I didn't switch until they started laying. They need the higher protein when they're growing but can cut back when they're older and laying.

Lisa

Quote:
How old are these genius chickens?
lau.gif

For the most part, chickens are visual- switching from crumbles to pellets has to be done gradually. If worse comes to worst, get something crumbled, even starter, and mix it in. If they are less than 16 weeks they will be fine on starter or grower until then, or until they lay. In your situation, it sounds like you have layer pellets. If they aren't old enough, get some starter and mix it in or save the layer for later.

I just make the switch. The mixing thing allows mine to "pick through" and beak out the non choice stuff!!!!! At these prices? No, no.

By day two? They'll eat anything!! No, be assured, they will not starve themselves. They can stubborn, but they cave like a sand castle at high tide when they get hungry. Pellets create so much less waste that it is essential, in my view, to get them switched.

I switched mine over to pellets, and it does seem like they're not eating at first, but in my opinion, they won't starve themselves. I also mixed pellets with the remainder of my crumbles.

Don't worry, they'll eventually get hungry enough to eat it. And you'll like it because there's ALOT less waste......

well the bag is DEFINITELY GROWER although it is pellets. I actually just went out and looked at the bag. I was surprised it was grower because the protein was only 15% and it was pellets but the bag says it and the label said it too...

I DID mix the crumble in with the pellets but they literally ate all around the pellets until all the crumble was completely gone anyway so I might as well have not mixed it in the first place.
My girls are about 14 weeks old and I have a few babies in quarantine who are about 8 weeks...So the big girls will be on grower for this bag until it runs out at which time they should probably be ready for layer pellets since a 50lb bag lasts us over a month, with them ranging most of the day maybe even longer...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom