# of weeks until able to process?

lindsmurphy

Chirping
10 Years
May 2, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi there,

I recently purchased 11 straight run chicks, and I am planning on growing out the males until they are ready to process. The breeds I have are RIR, Black Australorp, and Buff Rock. My question that I can't seem to find on google or here is.. how many weeks is it recommended to let these breeds grow until they are ready to process?

Is there a chart or something with this information?

Thanks!

Process? As in butcher? If this is the method we are talking bout then I was always told by my grandpa that when they hit right round crowing age it was time. Usually 4-5 months old. Though I know a few people that will eat them past that tho they get tougher.

I wish I could keep my little roosters from crowing until 4-5 months old! lol They always seem to start in by 8 weeks here..lol

Like MasonicFlock said 4-5 months is a good age. They will be more filled out then, yet still tender. Some larger breeds can be done sooner with good results. I'm not aware of a chart, although some searching of Google or this site might help you out. Maybe some others will chime in for those specific breeds.

They're still yummy before that, but will tend to be really scrawny. We try to let them hang around until the crowing or fighting gets to be too much, but 18 weeks is our goal.

Perfect, thanks for the info guys! I'm not sure if it will be worth it to keep them around for 4-5 months, maybe should just try to sell them on or give them away when I know for sure they're cockerils. Thanks for the info though!

Back
Top Bottom