Ended Official 2020 BYC Halloween Hatch-Along

Pics
Holy moly you guys! I just did a 5 day candle (I know, a bit early, but I wanted to be sure not to show kids an empty egg in a couple days) and all of my tolbunts are alive and growing! I have 7 out of 7 so far, so fingers crossed for them all! I know I may have some quitters later, but just having confirmation of 7 fertile eggs is thrilling :D.
I picked up this to help me with humidity and temp: Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is helpful because I don't have to open anything to check temp and humidity. It can be calibrated and the high/low accuracy is pretty good. The app shows a chart so I can see how long it took for my humidity to fall, it makes it easier to anticipate adding water and leads to fewer openings.
I am so excited! Tolbunts are my dream chicken

I had to look up the chickens - ahh the polish ones they look beautiful, brilliant fingers crossed here your hatch is good all the way

To everyone is hatching chickens ( or other poultry) worth all the effort - as I am thinking of getting an incubator - other than when my hens may go broody - which this year tried a hatch but failed with first time for all us

Do you mainly get all well chicks?

I had to look up the chickens - ahh the polish ones they look beautiful, brilliant fingers crossed here your hatch is good all the way

To everyone is hatching chickens ( or other poultry) worth all the effort - as I am thinking of getting an incubator - other than when my hens may go broody - which this year tried a hatch but failed with first time for all us

So this is our second go at it. Our first was really nerve wracking and resulted in only one chick. I really didn't want to do it again to be honest, but I tried to arm myself with a lot more info this time around, this community specifically has been so instrumental to a much more confident incubation. I would say that if I do it again I am getting a nicer incubator, the one we have (Janoel 12) is a pain and we can't see anything. I feel really optimistic after seeing the babies today. Even if we have a couple quitters I will still feel really good about the experience compared to the first one.
I'm sort of glad that my rabid desire for a tolbunt pushed me out of a comfort zone and into a place where I have to actively work and learn. I hope the results of this and many other forum threads help you feel comfortable and make you want to try!

Definitely do get an incubator :D don’t skimp and get a really good one to have better success.

Two reasons...

1. Hatching chicks is a must do if you have chickens. Addicting, but that’s fine. I think we’re all fully aware of that.

2. If one of your broodies fails part way through, you can get the eggs to the incubator and hopefully save the hatch.

I have had better luck with older hens successfully hatching clutches more than the pullets or first time broodies.

Hatching is Very addictive! I currently have over 100 eggs in different stages of incubation. Turkey, duck and chicken with the first batch of quail to go in tomorrow.
I started hatching in September 2017 with a cheap Chinese knockoff incubator that was a nightmare and have since graduated to a cabinet incubator and a brinsea ovation 56ex that is currently my hatcher( i move the eggs into it at lockdown) it never gets old in my opinion

Holy moly you guys! I just did a 5 day candle (I know, a bit early, but I wanted to be sure not to show kids an empty egg in a couple days) and all of my tolbunts are alive and growing! I have 7 out of 7 so far, so fingers crossed for them all! I know I may have some quitters later, but just having confirmation of 7 fertile eggs is thrilling :D.
I picked up this to help me with humidity and temp: Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is helpful because I don't have to open anything to check temp and humidity. It can be calibrated and the high/low accuracy is pretty good. The app shows a chart so I can see how long it took for my humidity to fall, it makes it easier to anticipate adding water and leads to fewer openings.
I am so excited! Tolbunts are my dream chicken
:wee

Look what i got! 54 arrived perfectly. I’m ALREADY freaking out over how little they are.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

81B1C76E-85BE-451E-B0E0-4BD51FCF5990.jpeg

6F793D61-9F33-4BA5-89E0-272EB1BEAC52.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom