Ended Official BYC 2023 Summer Fair Contestā€”Meat Bird Show

This is one of 3 broiler hens that were spared. She's going on 6 months old. Everyone thought she was a rooster until one day she plopped an egg out in front of me. She lays very large eggs almost daily. She's very docile - unless laying, then she'll growl and nip if touched. She loves going outside free ranging with my ducks, often following me around. She and the others share a pen with 2 older hens and 21 ducks for safety. I didn't want them injured by the Brahma rooster or other hens. They are restricted fed to help reduce their weight - she topped out at 21 pounds, now is about 15 pounds.

Broiler hen, she's my biggest.
20230626_185221.jpg

Partial of one of my 2 guinea boys, they're almost 3 years old. The 2 small ducklings, both 5 weeks old are Mallard/Runnerand/or Khaki Campbell mixed. The gray duckling is Runner/Khaki Campbell 6 weeks old - he was rehomed. The 2 surrogate mommas who are raising them plus 2 more are housed with the guineas. The guineas help protect them too. Once they're able to have layer feed, they'll be put with the rest of the ducks. I need to rehome 2 more of the ducklings as they're males and I already have 9.

20230726_094852.jpg

20230511_200022.jpg

Partial of one of my 2 guinea boys, they're almost 3 years old. The 2 small ducklings, both 5 weeks old are Mallard/Runnerand/or Khaki Campbell mixed. The gray duckling is Runner/Khaki Campbell 6 weeks old - he was rehomed. The 2 surrogate mommas who are raising them plus 2 more are housed with the guineas. The guineas help protect them too. Once they're able to have layer feed, they'll be put with the rest of the ducks. I need to rehome 2 more of the ducklings as they're males and I already have 9.

View attachment 3589637
Which bird is the meat bird contest entry?

clem.PNG

Don't judge Clementine on her looks. Here is her story. I believe someone got her for Easter, and when she was not cute any longer they must have decided to dump her, thinking it was more humane than "doing the deed" of eating/processing her. I don't know how long she was in the "wild" but a neighbor found her and she was thin, he gave her to me 2 days ago. She had an appetite and was very thirsty. She has put on weight just in the time I had her. I do not have other meat birds, and I am keeping her in a pen where the other egg laying birds can see her, just not pester her. She is gentle and friendly. (The same day we adopted her, coyotes were howling by our pen. she could have been eaten. Dumping is not more humane.)

Last edited:
View attachment 3593009
Don't judge Clementine on her looks. Here is her story. I believe someone got her for Easter, and when she was not cute any longer they must have decided to dump her, thinking it was more humane than "doing the deed" of eating/processing her. I don't know how long she was in the "wild" but a neighbor found her and she was thin, he gave her to me 2 days ago. She had an appetite and was very thirsty. She has put on weight just in the time I had her. I do not have other meat birds, and I am keeping her in a pen where the other egg laying birds can see her, just not pester her. She is gentle and friendly. (The same day we adopted her, coyotes were howling by our pen. she could have been eaten. Dumping is not more humane.)
How wonderful you were able to rescue her, I am sure she appreciates you greatly! ā¤

Back
Top Bottom