Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2012

When mine started i thought an animal was getting in the coop at night and roughing them up. It seems like they went into the molt just after a possum attack that killed 2 of my chicks and a roo. Ive had chickens for many years but have never seen all of my chicks go into molt at one time, and how long does it usually take, should i be giving them anything special to eat or drink? other than regular water and layer mash. I almost have enough feathers all around to make a pillow.

When mine started i thought an animal was getting in the coop at night and roughing them up. It seems like they went into the molt just after a possum attack that killed 2 of my chicks and a roo. Ive had chickens for many years but have never seen all of my chicks go into molt at one time, and how long does it usually take, should i be giving them anything special to eat or drink? other than regular water and layer mash. I almost have enough feathers all around to make a pillow.

Stress can cause them to molt if they are ready. Egg laying outfits force them to molt by not feeding them.

Give them extra protein, like a game bird feed. Something in the 20% range. They need energy to grow new feathers.

Last edited:
There is not much meat there she don't weigh a half a pound with feathers, guess she would make a nice fold over sandwich if she were not so darn old and tough.
lau.gif
so two chicken nuggets

Back
Top Bottom