Ended Official BYC Contest - Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2014

This is my little Maple, Gold Laced Wyandotte. It was her (and my!) first moult and I was so worried that it was so bad because of something I did or didn't do! She even lost all her wing feathers. Thanks, BYC, for showing me the bare side of chicken keeping!

This is Maple normally for reference.

OMG, your poor hen. She's a real looker with her feathers fully opened.

I am a newbie so pardon the question - what is a chicken diaper?

Edit: I was trying to quote (apparently lacking in techy skills tonight) to the poster that had her hen on the desk with her in a chicken diaper..

Last edited:
It really was! My others lost a few mantle or tail feathers but nothing like Maple. Thankfully I live in a sub-tropical region of Australia so they don't get too cold.

OMG, your poor hen. She's a real looker with her feathers fully opened.

Thanks Spice Girls! I did feel really sorry for her, and I'm pretty sure she felt sorry for herself. Normally she's a little shy but at the worst point of the moult she would come up to me and hide behind me like I was mother hen! Or maybe she just knew I was keeping her on a high protein diet and wanted her boiled egg and meal worms
smile.png

I am a newbie so pardon the question - what is a chicken diaper?

Edit: I was trying to quote (apparently lacking in techy skills tonight) to the poster that had her hen on the desk with her in a chicken diaper..
A chicken diaper is just what it sounds like, a diaper for chickens. It slips over the chickens' backside. Most of the time they are made of washable fabric with a area that stick out a bit to collet the poo. It allows people to bring their birds in the house without the mess. Here is a webpage that sells them.

http://www.chickendiapers.com/

This poor hen- this picture is simultaneously hilarious and so sad. I definitely think this picture is the winner!

Looks like her feathers are coming back in strong though, hopefully she's fully feathered again soon!

It's been a hard year for my Golden Laced Wyandottes too. I posted one of mine earlier in the thread, and since then the other 3 have gone naked, mostly on their butts, backs, and bellies. One is now completely re-feathered, and the other 3 are still in various stages of their molts and regrowth.

Last edited:
This poor hen- this picture is simultaneously hilarious and so sad. I definitely think this picture is the winner!

Looks like her feathers are coming back in strong though, hopefully she's fully feathered again soon!

It's been a hard year for my Golden Laced Wyandottes too. I posted one of mine earlier in the thread, and since then the other 3 have gone naked, mostly on their butts, backs, and bellies. One is now completely re-feathered, and the other 3 are still in various stages of their molts and regrowth.

She's pretty good now thanks Deacons (I'm in Australia so my moult timing is different!). I was constantly on food and guard duty for her for a few weeks though, encouraging her to eat and shielding her protein from the other chickens. I really hope she doesn't do this every year!

This is the first hard molt for my Amberlink hen Java (hatched Feb 2013)

. She was almost totally white like her sisters. Her new feathers are brown/laced like my golden laced Wyndottes. Must be her hybrid background. I was so dissapointed when the amberlinks grew up to be plain jane white hens. They are sweet hearts and great egg layers. All other breeds

Back
Top Bottom