Ended Official BYC Mini Contest - What is Your Hobby?

20191128_084905.jpg
Entry #1
One of my hobbies is baking. I started in my early 20's, determined to learn to bake good, wholesome whole-grain bread for my family, which I did for many years. I never used a bread machine, it was all by hand. I made five loaves at a time. Some was sliced and frozen. Toasted, it was as good as fresh and lasted till the next week's baking. I even sold bread to neighbors and friends.

What did I sacrifice? Oh... a full-time job, I suppose. The little extras other people enjoyed by having two incomes, like annual vacations to exotic, faraway lands. Things like that. But I got to stay home and raise my own kids, to watch them grow, to guide them through the changes of life. I never thought of it as a sacrifice.

I'm currently working on learning a sourdough technique and artisan-style breads. DH found me a great cookbook, I will come back and post the name and authors tomorrow (we are on the road today). Here's yesterday's attempt. If I can find it I will post pics of my traditional-looking loaves also.

20191127_142154.jpg

ETA: Found it! But it showed up at the top. Oh well!

Last edited:
Finally I enjoy painting, mostly watercolor. Here are some pictures of my girls:

3AC127E5-906B-4B98-B1FA-DECD88DFCBE2.jpeg

CBC0038C-F396-4224-892A-8D3BCDEAD553.jpeg

D2490424-9C1B-4FFB-A8C7-407B29496ED9.jpeg

0B5BB39D-37E6-4E5B-9A11-1029CEA2AAA9.jpeg

92C8C9CA-CD4C-482F-A255-ACD4D4618CDE.jpeg

04651184-BCDC-4003-A27B-ECCECCCF8F6A.jpeg

Just one more... I really, really love spending time here with you all... what a truly amazing, knowledgeable, kind and generous group of people! Thanks so much for all the great help, advice and encouragement you’ve shared through the past year. :love

Entry 2; Sewing!

Mushrooms.png

(Three "Mario" mushroom plushies I made for my partner.)

Like many homesteaders I love to work my hands. My intro to sewing started young, making Halloween costumes and medieval dresses for re-enactment like renfaires with my older sisters.

Since then I've made countless costumes, clothing items, utility items (like totes and pouches), plushies and many others.

While I used to sew using my mothers or sisters sewing machines some years back my MIL bought me a Singer Heavy Duty (one of the best brands on the market) and I've since made lots of good use of it, learning to machine darn to reinforce worn fabrics and alter modern clothing to fit my larger (6') frame in ways that modern clothing companies won't accommodate for.

Sewing is both a practical hobby and a fun one! When I was younger I used to sew to make money but as laws around craft businesses have tightened and I got more interested in homesteading I stopped. Now I mostly do this for friends and family and as gifts.

Last edited:
Entry #2 - Netball!

I don’t think you play netball in the US? But I LOVE it! I played in school (all the girls had to) but during my school days I was overweight and unfit and sport was embarrassing for me. I’ve returned to netball as an adult and have been playing in a local team for maybe 5 or 6 years now, including having a go at being captain and now qualifying as an umpire (which I gave up a lot of time for).

Netball involves a similar ball, court and goal to basketball (except there is no board behind the goal) but the rules are quite different. You cannot run with the ball so once you catch it you have to keep your landing foot still until you pass to a teammate within 3 seconds. I find it hugely fun, amazing exercise and really good from a social point of view... I am part of a whole netball community and have met a lot of people I probably wouldn’t have otherwise. I also find team sports to be very good for my brain - when I play the game I forget all my troubles. :yesss: 62C20278-5D81-470B-819E-676E61B72406.jpeg 4E3F2C38-0DFE-4449-AE34-FBB18FCAF98B.jpeg 1F18C6F5-7A83-4F5F-A1A0-4EF8BC0EB278.jpeg 93515FE1-CA73-443A-B256-98A4ED962368.jpeg

1). PHOTOGRAPHY
Since the age I first learned to use a camera, photos have been my interpretation of the world. It's what I turn to when I need a break- it's what keeps me grounded to the world.
I mostly do nature photography, birding and scenic shots.
Last year, I decided to begin a website called "Eilenz", a mashup of my middle name (Eileen) and the (lens) of a camera. Hopefully I can one day make a profit from my biggest interests in life. For now, that's not my wish. Watching nature thrive- that's my wish.
http://www.eilenz.com

DSCN3682,medium.2x.1568655678.JPG
20191125_143131.jpg

Back
Top Bottom