Ended Official BYC Mini Contest - What is Your Hobby?

Pics
Hobby # 2
Canning

I love to can things like tomatoes and to make and can jams and jellies from produce that I have either grown myself or picked my self.
This can be a very time consuming process depending on whether you are water bath canning or using a pressure cooker to can. The pressure cooker takes much longer!
I have mad a little bit of money because friends and family have requested to purchase some of my home canned jams, jellies, tomatoes and salsa but that was not the purpose of getting started with canning. I love the idea of being able to put up produce or meat that I have grown or raised myself and that it lasts 18 months!
I often get together with a friend that I introduced canning to, and we will can up things together! We even made watermelon jam this year. The jam that the most people loved this year was the "Apple pie jam".
RZTM4148.JPG

I believe this was a batch of "pear butter" that I made this year, but I'm not positive since I took the picture before I labeled the lids.
IMG_4923.JPG

These cases are full of jams and jellies and salsas and pickle relish that I canned this year. The quarts of tomatoes, pasta sauce, and pumpkin chunks are put away in the pantry or downstairs.

Last edited:
Hobby # 1
Bracelet making.
I learned how to make bracelets using several techniques, but the one I use most often is called Bead crochet. You string the seed beads onto your string in a specific patter or you can do a random "soup". Then you crochet the beads and string to make the bracelet.
I mainly make them as gifts for other people and my friend and I try to plan at least 1 day a month to get together so we can bead!
View attachment 1970247
Here are a couple of things that I have made. The yellow, green and black bracelet is in the design of the Jamaican Flag and I made it for my first trip to Jamaica 2 years ago. I made 1 for me and 1 for each of the friends I was traveling with!
They are so beautiful and amazing how you create them. The Jamaican one resembles the flag very well.

Taking pictures of the sunset
  • What is is that you love about this hobby?
  • I live in Arizona, we're known for the sunsets here, they are beautiful, especially at change of season, when you can see some spectacular cloud formations. Walking 2 miles to take the picture and watch the sky change gives me time alone for thought and prayer. I do use filters just to get the coloring true to life as possible.
  • When do you do the Hobby?
  • usually around sunset, lol
  • What sacrifices do you make to be able to practice your hobby?
  • sometimes I walk home in dark, but I'd hardly call that a sacrifice.
  • Are you an amateur? An adept? An expert?
  • adept, experts have nice cameras
  • Are you lucky enough that this hobby is part of your job/income?
  • Nope
20190809_191053[1].jpg
20190929_180810.jpg
20190804_192217.jpg
20190801_192942.jpg

Hobby # 2
Canning

I love to can things like tomatoes and to make and can jams and jellies from produce that I have either grown myself or picked my self.
This can be a very time consuming process depending on whether you are water bath canning or using a pressure cooker to can. The pressure cooker takes much longer!
I have mad a little bit of money because friends and family have requested to purchase some of my home canned jams, jellies, tomatoes and salsa but that was not the purpose of getting started with canning. I love the idea of being able to put up produce or meat that I have grown or raised myself and that it lasts 18 months!
I often get together with a friend that I introduced canning to, and we will can up things together! We even made watermelon jam this year. The jam that the most people loved this year was the "Apple pie jam".View attachment 1970248
I believe this was a batch of "pear butter" that I made this year, but I'm not positive since I took the picture before I labeled the lids.View attachment 1970250
These cases are full of jams and jellies and salsas and pickle relish that I canned this year. The quarts of tomatoes, pasta sauce, and pumpkin chunks are put away in the pantry or downstairs.

How nice to have all that preserved and waiting in the pantry!

• I live in Arizona, we're known for the sunsets here, they are beautiful, especially at change of season, when you can see some spectacular cloud formations. Walking 2 miles to take the picture and watch the sky change gives me time alone for thought and prayer. I do use filters just to get the coloring true to life as possible.
  • Nope

Beautiful photos!

This contest is brought to you by our BYC Sponsors
(click to view & support them)

View attachment 1967485

This is a RANDOM Winner Contest...
Post up to 3 of your Hobbies and your name will be entered up to 3 times for the final drawing for a chance to win 1 of 5 (that's right, FIVE)
2020 BYC Calendars!

The rules:

1. All entries must be submitted as replies to this thread,
2. Only 3 Hobby Entries per member, PLEASE NUMBER YOUR ENTRIES!
3. Please add a short description with your IMAGES IN YOUR POSTS, examples....

These are just examples of how to create your post, you don´t have to talk about all of them and you can add other things you want, those are just a few guidelines in case you don´t know how to make your post!

SO ENTER UP TO 3 HOBBIES for a chance to win 1 of 5 (that's right, FIVE)
2020 BYC Calendars!

Note: We will use a random number generator to select our winners for this Contest.

Entries will be accepted until and including the 9th of December.
Entry #1

I love recycled crafting, then I enter them at the County Fair. I made this one with an old frame from a thrift shop and hot glued wine corks on it. It
89358CB9-09D9-45AA-82EE-7C31E1524B43.jpeg
won me a white ribbon. So, I guess my hobby helps with my income. ☺️

Last edited:
Entry #3,

My all time favorite hobby is gardening. The main reason I got the chickens is to help me with the garden. Sometimes They “till and prune” a little too much, but the free fertilizer and entertainment are well worth it.

I’m a retired gardener so this hobby was definitely an income maker. I used to grow and maintain plants for other people. Now I do it all for me and my chickens, and my husband, too. This one was on a plant stand (formerly a gas grill my neighbor put out on the street) where the chickens couldn’t reach.
46EECF45-0C36-4C93-B401-7386CDD50907.jpeg

• Nope

WOW!

This contest is brought to you by our BYC Sponsors
(click to view & support them)

View attachment 1967485

This is a RANDOM Winner Contest...
Post up to 3 of your Hobbies and your name will be entered up to 3 times for the final drawing for a chance to win 1 of 5 (that's right, FIVE)
2020 BYC Calendars!

The rules:

1. All entries must be submitted as replies to this thread,
2. Only 3 Hobby Entries per member, PLEASE NUMBER YOUR ENTRIES!
3. Please add a short description with your IMAGES IN YOUR POSTS, examples....

These are just examples of how to create your post, you don´t have to talk about all of them and you can add other things you want, those are just a few guidelines in case you don´t know how to make your post!

SO ENTER UP TO 3 HOBBIES for a chance to win 1 of 5 (that's right, FIVE)
2020 BYC Calendars!

Note: We will use a random number generator to select our winners for this Contest.

Entries will be accepted until and including the 9th of December.

Back
Top Bottom