Official BYC Poll: Do You Keep a Rooster?

Do You Keep a Rooster?

• Yes, just one

Votes: 132 24.8%
  • Yes, more than one

Votes: 250 47.0%
  • No, never

Votes: 61 11.5%
  • No, but I used to

Votes: 41 7.7%
  • What's a rooster?

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • No, but I intend to in the future

Votes: 44 8.3%

• Total voters
View attachment 2350154
I keep more than one flock and each has at least one rooster.
The king of roosters here is my New Jersey Giant rooster named “Big Otis”.
The NJG flock of 40 has three roosters and the youngest is Otis’s son. While young, he still has a few hens who are following him around when they free range. Watching the rooster dynamic is entertaining
Gorgeous! 😍 I love my Black Jersey Giant. He's only six months old, but he defers to the older rooster, has good people manners and does not abuse the hens. About 6 of the young Black Australorp hens follow him like groupies around a rock star, lol! Definitely a keeper.

I have 11 roosters, 6 of those were “pullets” from TSC, 3 were “pullets” from Meyers and 2 I specifically ordered roosters. All of them are within a month or two from each other age wise and have plenty of room to free range. I see them break off into their groups during the day. A few are really good to their hens and others might become trouble makers. I’m just watching them for now to see how this plays out. It’s actually very interesting watching.

A rooster is over 1 year old, and we have had a few of those, but only one 1yo(or older) at one time. Often a younger underling is present.

Currently, we have a 1 yo BJG - he's been a good boy so far. He is really talkative, and I don't mean crowing. Yes, he crows, but not much...unless we are outside near the run for too long, then he might start to crow several times. But, he talks in all sorts of variations and inflection, sometimes it is cluck-like, sometimes not...more like a guttural noise, but all of his talking is quite varied, and sometimes low volume, like he's talking just to the female near him, and other times more like he's talking to the whole flock.

We have an underling in the run. This male is a mixed breed of BJG+ EE (based on the EE-type fluffy cheek puffs). This male seems to have been taught some manners by the older girls and head rooster. This male is 4.5 months old but likely won't stay with the flock long term.

We also currently have 14 males that are 8 weeks old. 8 breeds, as we are looking for a suitable underling and also entry for 4-H fair next year. They are in a separate pen.

Yes, but I had to replace my Rooster with another one, I picked a bantam Rooster as they are smaller. The first one was too aggressive and would fight me when I got near the girls. The bantam is a good watcher for the girls and that’s all I want him to be.

Back
Top Bottom