Official BYC Poll: Have Your Neighbors Ever Complained About Your Chickens?

Have Your Neighbors Ever Complained About Your Chickens?

• No, never/ they don't seem to care

Votes: 212 67.9%
  • Yes, because of the noise of the hens

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • Yes, about the noise of my rooster(s)

Votes: 19 6.1%
  • Yes, about the smell

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Yes, about the coop

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, about the run

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yes, because of the rodents

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Yes, because they trespassed onto their property

Votes: 24 7.7%
  • My neighbors are far away to even notice them

Votes: 69 22.1%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 25 8.0%

• Total voters
My neighbors have mentioned that a hen has hopped over but didn’t seem to care about his yard more that his dogs would get it. My other neighbors say they like the noise
my rooster Pepper got spooked one day while my coop was being built and wound up in my neighbors yard. She knew we'd gotten chickens so she took a picture of him and came over like are you missing someone??

I selected other because there was no option for "my neighbors like them and many have asked to visit the chickens."
We live in suburban Salem OR, and there are quite a few backyard flocks in our neighborhood. There is an adult foster care facility next door, and the residents ask me to let the chickens free range so they can see them while they sit on the back porch.
The most complaints I get are from m husband because we have a pair of mischievous White Faced Black Spanish hens that get up on the back porch and poop. The porch is a no-go zone. I don't blame him, they also try to sneak into our bedroom.

Nope, my neighbors are about 80yo farmer that grew up with chickens. They live about 300yds away and the chickens still go visit where they through out their scraps. They kinda like them but to old to realy mess with there own

My two neighbors who know about them love the girls and visit them with treats. Since they are 15 feet from being legal no one else knows about them. Thank goodness for a tall house to block sound.

Keeping backyard chickens is a wonderful thing to do. It has great experiences and lessons that you can learn. On top of that you get eggs out of your pets and your eating healthier. However, your neighbors might not share your enthusiasm for poultry. So in this week's poll, we would like to find out: Have Your Neighbors Ever Complained About Your Chickens?
  • If you answered yes, can you tell us how you solved the problems?
  • If you answered with no, did you do anything special to prevent angry neighbors?
Please place your vote above, and elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2811000

Further Reading:
(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
Umm, not yet! They’re still a little young to make enough noise to be disturbing. I’ll let you know in about another month! 😆

Back
Top Bottom